Old fashioned candle holder in a basket

Raymond Richard

I've been getting pretty burnt out making knives and felt like trying something different. My good friend Wayne Goddard gave me a bunch of Hammer Blow magazines several years ago and several are right next to my throne where I get to view them everyday. I decided to try this simple candle holder yesterday and got started on it today. I need to do a little drilling, put some thread on the bottom of the up right, and make a wood base to mount it on. I had everything I needed out in the shop. I used steel from a old drag saw blade, piece of hay rake tine, an old piece of black pipe that was at one time one of my forge burners, and four 16 penny nails I'll be using for rivets.

IMG_3475.JPG

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3473.JPG

Raymond Richard

www.hawknknives.com

Very cool. I like making knick knacks. My wife would love something like that. Well she says so anyway. mine always end up...elsewhere though. maybe if I executed them as well as you... Ah well... Nice work man

Good one, Ray!

I always find it interesting how much harder it is to do a really good forge finish on something like that one can't just grind to final shape. We should all try some basic blacksmithing (or not so basic in this case) every so often. It really improves your forging skills far more than bladework alone. B)

Good one, Ray!

I always find it interesting how much harder it is to do a really good forge finish on something like that one can't just grind to final shape. We should all try some basic blacksmithing (or not so basic in this case) every so often. It really improves your forging skills far more than bladework alone. B)

Alan, I'll be doing more in the future. One thing I always hope for when I do something new is the ideas I get from it. Now I have more ideas to try if I can just remember what they were. This was fun since I found it more entertaining than doing a knife blade.

Raymond Richard

www.hawknknives.com