Sign in to follow this  
Andy Davis

Should I Buy???

I have a guy who posted on a forum who offered this machine of unknown origin to me for $200. my question to all is.... Should I buy it?

It runs, I'm going to see it in action tomorrow. The base says "wilton" and it looks like the unit was made for the base, so i'm assuming it is a Wilton Grinder. It has a 3" by 79" belt and runs at what he described as "EXTREMELY high speeds for a beltsander". However he has no other info on it, and he couldn't find a model number or anything. It APPEARS to have a 4 or 5 HP motor on it, and I REALLY hope it's 220 and not bigger.

If anyone has any info on this unit, please share! and if they think it would be a decent investment for profiling, shaping, ect. Attached is a rough cell phone picture he sent to me. If it isn't what I am interested in, would anyone be up for purchasing it?

Thanks,

Andy

-Mad Dwarf Workshop-3n13k33p85V25S55R1b5769ec182148531a73.jpg

Edited by Andy Davis

What do the belts cost? What variety can you get them in?

You can always use the parts to make a different grinder.

Ric

LOTS of belts, $50 for 10 of them seems to be the norm. comes in all sorts of grits. we would use low grits mainly.

If it were close enough for me to pick up, I'd have already sprained my elbow reaching for the checkbook. ;)

If it's a 3-phase motor, spend another $200 for a VFD and bask in the luxury of variable speed. It looks like you may not be able to use different wheel sizes, but even so it would be a great profiling grinder. You need it, don't worry. B)

It appears to be a clone of this Grizzly model.

Say rather the Grizzly is a clone of the Wilton. :lol:

$200 for an American made machine with a 5HP motor is a STEAL! That said, I would have trouble coming up with the money if something like this fell in my lap but, I would... Somehow - and I already own a KMG with all the bells and whistles.

~Bruce~

Andy, the big questions that I have is how fast is extreemly fast; would it present a problem of overheating the blades. I see that there is good access to the drive wheel for for hollow grinding but does it have a flat grinding capability? It's sort of hard to say that you can only go so wrong for $200 but, if you have that much money to risk, it's no where near taking a chance with $2000.

Doug

I have a bunch of belts for it...are you going to the MacAbee Hammer-in again this year?

Anyone have a guess at what the electric pull will be? 220? I will be seeing the gentleman tomorrow to witness it run and to get some more info on what exactly it is, and if I can change contact wheels. I will be sure to keep you guys up-dated.

I would be all over it for 500! This is a very serious hog. I believe the retail is around 13 to 1500 bucks. The style is very common in Asia and Europe, belts in low grit readily available in this size. Mostly in America I have seen them in auto, motorcycle, and muffler shops. You figure your fitting or cleaning up 2.5 inch pipe, you need three inches of belt. You should also be able to get a bunch of small wheels to fit it.

Anyone have a guess at what the electric pull will be? 220? I will be seeing the gentleman tomorrow to witness it run and to get some more info on what exactly it is, and if I can change contact wheels. I will be sure to keep you guys up-dated.

The only way to tell the voltage/amperage is to look at the motor plate. Even if you can't change out the wheel (which I doubt), it would still be good for sword grinding if you run your blades lengthwise on a wheel like Kerry and Matt at Baltimore Knife and Sword. Also, if it's 3-phase and you get a VFD for it you will be able to adjust the speed...

You can't get a Wilton vise for $200, let alone a grinder. I'd be all over it.

-d

Hey everyone, purchased the grinder, I saw it run in the shop and it is an absolute BEAST. One thing I didn't realise it how versitile this machine is. There is a flat platen on the top of the machine that is 3" by 16" and it has a 8" contact wheel. The platen and dust box can be removed so I can grind verticly as well. The seller had to rip me away from it so i could give him the cash. UNFORTUNATLY. I need to get either a phase converter (i'm thinking static for financial reasons). OR a VFD (some VFD convert single, to 3 phase). Any suggestions on places to look for a VFD? I found some static converters on grizzly for $190, but does anyone have any they arn't using and would sell me?

The motor is 4HP and runs at 3800rpm!!!! A bit much for basic bladesmithing, but I can make it work. It is currently set for Delta wiring at 240V.

Thanks for your help guys.

Here are some photo's depicting the flat platen and all the bells and whistles this thing has. I think I will be very happy once I get this thing installed!IMG_1406.JPGIMG_1408.JPGIMG_1409.JPGIMG_1411.JPG