Sign in to follow this  
Peter T. Swarz-Burt

forged katar version 1

Since we are trying to get interesting stock together for our guest appearance at the Sterling Renaissance Faire in August I decided that we needed at least a little bit of Indian weaponry on the table. I have always felt that the sub-Continent has more than its share of cool and evil weaponry, and one of my favorites has always been the katar.

This little guy was forged from 5160 (handle sections are forged mild), with a blade length of 8.5" and an overall length of 17.5". I was originally planning to go with flat grinds to a nice center ridge but managed to flub the grinding and went with the convex grind edge to edge.

Hope you all enjoy my flirtation with the dark side...

Peter

katar1.1.jpg

katar1.2.jpg

what I said on the last one goes here, too! cool, practical (in a deadly sort of way), and seems like one could teach someone enough to be deadly with this in about 10 seconds of instruction.

what I said on the last one goes here, too! cool, practical (in a deadly sort of way), and seems like one could teach someone enough to be deadly with this in about 10 seconds of instruction.

I guess the katar is kind of like a gun in that regard; practice may make you better, but "point this end at your enemy" pretty much gets you started. I tried the larger one out on 1/4" plywood and was surprised that it didn't try to roll my wrist much at all. Katars lack the hitting speed of swords but have far more stabbing power and leverage. I believe they were mostly used by un-armored men but they are often described as being "armor piercing". I would be curious to know more about their use but have never really seen any substantial descriptions beyond captions on pictures.

Peter

Fantastic work! For some reason, though, I always envisioned the tines to be strapped to the arm to even further prevent the wrist from being injured.

Very nice work! Don't think I've seen a recently-made katar before.

I would be curious to know more about their use but have never really seen any substantial descriptions beyond captions on pictures.

Well, here you go. I'm almost certain that this is a historically accurate depiction of katar fighting techniques as demonstrated by a flamboyant 16th century Italian master.

:rolleyes::PB);)

Edited by Stormcrow

That's a beautiful job you've done there. My compliments!

Peter: get yourself a guest slot at the Maryland Renaissance Festival, and I will make absolutely sure you never get a chance to sit down for the sheer number of people in your tent.