Sign in to follow this  
Peter T. Swarz-Burt

katar version 2

The title is pretty much self-explanatory. Having made the first katar I wanted to continue in the same vein, but it turns out that this a dangerous vein to pursue. It seems that things can't help but escalate, and I am a little concerned where we will go next.

The blades are forged 5160 and the connectors are all forged mild steel. The blades are 8" long and the overall length is 21". I forged and ground the blades with triangular cross-section; nice and crisp center ridge on one side and a slightly convex "flat" on the other. The blades did warp ever so slightly towards the "flat", but I was expecting this and figured it would add a bit to the visciousness of the end product. I HT'd the blades before assembly and went for a wire wheel finish throughout.

I think my next endeavor in this line will need to go back to a more traditional katar, but spice things up by making the blade in wootz.

Peter

katar2.1.jpg

katar2.2.jpg

katar2.3.jpg

I think that is really attractive .

I have always thought that katars (and other types of push-daggers) were really neat looking in a vicious way. Doesn't seem like you would need a lot of specialized training to figure out how to use one.

nice.

kc

Havn't been on in a while and look who's here. Very cool Peter. Like the jointery. Looks like it would stand a better chance of fitting my meathooks than an original ~Herb