Russian car spring Bowie

here is my latest and First seller :D Made from a Car spring that came from under a Russian jeep(don't know what kind). the handle consist of Mahogany,Oak and Maple.

This is also my first hidden tang Construction :) . please tell me what you think and point out anything you could see done better.02062011428.jpg02062011432.jpg02062011434.jpg

Þessi hnífur er þungur...Hann á að vera þungur

Looks very russian-military. I think I've seen a soviet bloc bayonet that shared similar style points.

Personally, I would have chosen to make the handle more ovoid in cross-section and used fewer woods in fewer pieces. When combined with the textured blade, you have a very busy visual.

Still, looks to be a very durable user.

When reason fails...

Looks very russian-military. I think I've seen a soviet bloc bayonet that shared similar style points.

Personally, I would have chosen to make the handle more ovoid in cross-section and used fewer woods in fewer pieces. When combined with the textured blade, you have a very busy visual.

Still, looks to be a very durable user.

it is, i chopped a 4x4 in two and split the parts in half and then shaved with it, Just to show the customer how durable this knife is :) .

i was just going to use the Oak and mahogany but then i decided to use the Maple to break up the pattern in the handle and im glad i did.

but to each his own right? :D Thank you for the comment and enjoy the weekend B)

I was thinking the same thing... It does make me think Russian Military(fitting for Russian steel). It looks like you need to work on your hammering. I see a few hammer dings. Next time pay close attention to how your hammer hits the steel. Be smooth and concise. Make the hammer go where you want, and don't forget to hammer on both sides so it stays flat. Great looking blade!

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.

I was thinking the same thing... It does make me think Russian Military(fitting for Russian steel). It looks like you need to work on your hammering. I see a few hammer dings. Next time pay close attention to how your hammer hits the steel. Be smooth and concise. Make the hammer go where you want, and don't forget to hammer on both sides so it stays flat. Great looking blade! It'd be a good camp knife.

Edited by Isaiah Lake

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.

I was thinking the same thing... It does make me think Russian Military(fitting for Russian steel). It looks like you need to work on your hammering. I see a few hammer dings. Next time pay close attention to how your hammer hits the steel. Be smooth and concise. Make the hammer go where you want, and don't forget to hammer on both sides so it stays flat. Great looking blade! It'd be a good camp knife.

yeah im not happy about those hammer marks but the reason for them is that i had been hammering all day and got a little tired so i turned of the forge and went inside,

the next day when i was going to grind the blade i noticed that the part near the tang was still too thick so i Rushed to get it thin and got a little bit careless :rolleyes: .i will never do that again :lol: thank you for the comment and advice!

yeah im not happy about those hammer marks but the reason for them is that i had been hammering all day and got a little tired so i turned of the forge and went inside,

the next day when i was going to grind the blade i noticed that the part near the tang was still too thick so i Rushed to get it thin and got a little bit careless :rolleyes: .i will never do that again :lol: thank you for the comment and advice!

WERE YOU RELATED TO GOODMAN ERLINGSSON FROM OPELOUSAS, LOUISIANA IN THE USA

WERE YOU RELATED TO GOODMAN ERLINGSSON FROM OPELOUSAS, LOUISIANA IN THE USA

I doubt it, here in Iceland our last name is the name of our father. so i am the Son of Erling! :lol: ,it's most likely that the ancestor of Goodman came from one of the Nordic country's and had the last name "Erlingsson" and had to take up a family name so his last name became the family name :) .

I doubt it, here in Iceland our last name is the name of our father. so i am the Son of Erling! :lol: ,it's most likely that the ancestor of Goodman came from one of the Nordic country's and had the last name "Erlingsson" and had to take up a family name so his last name became the family name :) .

Oh well just thought i would check since he moved here from Iceland in 1949 he was a good friend and a shame that he passed away last year

Thanks for the reply

cajunblade

Oh well just thought i would check since he moved here from Iceland in 1949 he was a good friend and a shame that he passed away last year

Thanks for the reply

cajunblade

you never know, we could be related. im sorry to hear he has passed away