Katzbalger

Matthew Parkinson

blade is 5160 with three forged in fullers, grip is tiger maple and the fittings are mild steel. the blade is 20 3/4" overall 27 1/4" balanceing 2 3/8" from hilt weight is 2 lb 7 OZ...

I am tring realy hard not to run around the shop hacking at things........

katzbauger.jpg

That looks really good. The pommel drew my eye immediately too. It looks like a weapon in and of itself!

Resident knife-maker-wannabe

Oh man! Tell me you found "something" to hack!!

Troy Allen Christianson is NOT a "Licensed Bladesmith" so you may treat his posts with the contempt they deserve.

not going to lie .... that pommel was a PITA! even after preforming it on the lathe and then forging it close to shape the grinding /polishing was more than a little stressful, I ended up having to re do part of it after I had finshed all the fit up when I noticed the radius on the end wasn't centered and the tang nut looked off center.....fixed that . then had to redo the two other radius's......

MP

I agree. The pommel is awesome. Great blade! Please post pictures of the guard.

The extraordinary has never been achieved without the sacrifice of security. Take your chances thin, and take them often.

Wow! Very nice. More photos please!

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

sorry it took so long.... busy week....

best reason I have heard for the name is the they called a close in fight (like these would do so well in) a cat brawl or cat fight ... in German that is Katz (cat) balger(fight or brawl) don't know if that is true or if that is even real German , but it sounds good!

MP

katzbauger2.jpg

katzbauger3.jpg

I cant see the rest of the blade?

top of the page?

MP

This is great!, I've wanted to makw one of these for some time. Actually ever since I read about a PW viking blade getting re hilted as a katzbalger.

ooooooo that sounds like fun..... and me with no time to do any pattern welding......