Sign in to follow this  
JPH

Mr Bill Fiorini Passes

Hello:

I got a call yesterday morning telling me that a long time friend of mine, Bill Fiorini passed away in Hospice care. He was suffering from a severe infection and stroke and passed quietly in his sleep.

He was a truly talented man, one who was helpful and downright generous with the knowledge he had.

I fondly remember all the conversatiuons he and I had in reagrds to welding gun barrels and other fun stuff

So raise a glass to the man and may he truly rest in peace..

JPH

That's not good, a giant has gone. :(

There will no doubt be many a glass raised in his honor tonight.

Shucks, never met him, but I believe he was a great teacher with amazing things to offer.

Heart felt condolences to his family and friends, Craig

An amazingly talented maker and teacher will be missed, may he rest in peace.

Peter

That leaves a much bigger hole in the smithing world than will be properly accounted.

I give complete attribution to Bill as one of my teachers as often as I can. I think he was one of the most significant smiths of the early present generation in this country. I'm happy to give him that accolade even though more fellows were more famous than Bill.

His work speaks for itself, and is evidenced in the work of his students. The quality of the man cannot be measured except by the people who know him as friend. He had a large soul.

I attended an NWBA conference in 2000 or 2001 where Mr. Fiorini demo'ed damascus. A great presenter and a really nice man, I'm very sad. but I will go make some PW in his honor.

Geoff

I second what Mike said above.

Bill was a great help to me when I started in pattern-welding. He was very generous with his research and information when good information was hard to get.

Bill and Kirsten came over with the kids around Christmas for dinner so I had an opportunity to see some of his latest work.

It was great.

He'll be missed,

Hank

Man! Was caught off guard by this news. Bill was a man I never met in person, just online, but a man who strongly influenced my ideas about metal. He is in on my list of top five most influential bladesmiths, craftsman, jeweler, silversmith, coppersmith. The imagination and quality of his work set some of the highest standards for metal art of any genre. Bill was also a master of hammers, he has been a huge influence on the trend of American Bladesmiths using a more oriential style weight forward hammer in making knives and other work most of us would refer to as silversmithing.

Bill, May your art and name live forever, The sun is now your forge!

The following is a note sent out by Bills wife for his friends,

Bill was in the hospital being treated for a very serious nocardia infection in his right lung and thyroid. He was recovering slowly, but definitely showing progress. Very early Wednesday morning he had a massive stroke on the right side of his brain. Even if he did survive and recover, he would not have anything close to the life and function that he wanted.

We've decided to choose comfort care only and inpatient hospice care. Please feel free to let his old friends know. I don't have the energy to look up names and numbers. I would prefer not to get a lot of calls right now please.

Bill wanted to be cremated and was adamantly against a wake and funeral. Finances permitting, Bill's older daughter Danielle and I would like to plan a memorial party (or hammer in?) back in La Crosse later in the summer.

He's resting peacefully in hospice right now. I'll let you know how things go.

-Kirsten

Bill passed away early this morning, just in time to start off his new path with the sunrise, his favorite time of day.

Bill Fiorini was a good man. We will miss him.

I remember every time I saw him...I always left with more than I came.

Bill left a host of students in his wake....ripples in a pond spreading out.

Apparently there will be a hammer-in in La Crosse, WI in his honor.

My condolences to his family.

Ric

An inspiration in my art-school years.