J. Helmes

Viking blacksmith demo

Here is a link to a photo stream of a farmers market where I was did a viking based blacksmith demo. My link for those of a historical acuracy mind, I apologise for the shoes :P

Jeff I really like the pic that has some smoke coming outta your beard! :lol:

Looks like fun. The hardy looks adventurous! Nice assistant you got there. ;)

Thanks it was alot of fun. The assistant in the red shirt btw was my very very lovley wife Mandy

Edited by J. Helmes

very cool

like the stump anvil,hotcut,fuller... even the wood bucket

man, i could see that drifting that hammer would be a pain in the butt on sucha small anvil

-

-looks like a good group

;)

Looks like a very fun time.

Is that really an accurate representation of a Viking smith's tools? Or is that just a "travel" forge that a Viking smith might use?

Thanks for sharing this!

--Dave

The shoes were realy not that bad Jeff it was great to meet you and your family!

By the way i did not buy the boat so i'm still looking for a 14' aluminum deep v.

Bob

sean- i'll say...

greg....it was a bit tricky, I slit the hole long enough that I didnt need to stretch it out, so much as just open it up with the drift.

dave..not especially, they are all actually hardy tools from my anvil. I made them with the potential of doing demos. They have just as much influence from tribal african smiths of today as from viking finds. I cant say there has ever been a fuller found but I would argue that they probably existed, drawing out long bars on a flat face is slow and blacksmiths tend to be an creative lot.

The demos I've done are all local and just for fun, My aim at the moment isnt to re-enact ecact Viking life as to just capture the spirit of the thing.I am gradually gearing my kit in the direction of authentic kit however. The most interesting thing ive noticed was that the sheer simplicity of the tools attracted alot of interest.I think when prople see a forge sometimes they just see a strange and archaic tool that they dont quite understand . While when people see a groung forge with a bag on the end they just see a hole in the ground, and they can conect to that because they can instantly understand it. It strips the expensive strange tooling out of the picture and really just leaves the act of forging.

bob... it was awsome meeting you and your family there too. I'll keep my eyes open for a boat, my brother is in the market for one too so I know hes looking.

Cheers and thanks everyone, Jeff