Sign in to follow this  
matthewzeeb

Cubes

A while back we did these as a project with the local blacksmithing club. The design isn't original; I found the project on the net, but I think they turned out pretty nice. The effect is achieved by cutting partway into your square steel bar (I started the cuts with a thin cutoff wheel in an angle grinder and then defined them with chisel after heating the piece) and then twisting it to make the cubes "pop". I've always wanted to try this out on a knife handle. :)

cubes.jpg

Looks neat! It would be cool to do this with a piece of pattern welded steel.

Great job on that. I've seen this a lot on railroad spike knives, but never this cleanly. A lot of them have it done on all four corners, which seems to make the handle too busy looking, detracts from the knife. I like it with just one corner cubed. And yeah, this done on a bar of damascus would be very cool to see.

-Dan

The photo doesn't actually show it, but the pattern was done on opposing edges, so the edge opposite the camera has the same pattern. It would be pretty cool to see this in pattern welded steel. Now if only I had plenty of that lying around... :)