..."Trough the marshes in his smelting furnace"

... iron from ore its watered-beds..or just glassy dirt and soil do we have???

Niko

Niko,

Wonderful, I love the suspense , the tension...great post.

Jan

Niko, as usual, excellent work! Good to have you around! ;) I cant wait to see what will be born in that smelter!

Love the new beard Alan ^_^

Cheers

Smoke rises from smelters furnace,now has ended the journey of smith and ore from the marshes...

Has it done its deeds the charcoal, smelter...giving birth to origin...origin of iron.

Bloom from furnace.jpg

Bloom from furnace I.jpg

Bloom from front.jpg

Colour of iron.jpg

Bloom after half cut.jpg

Rises the origin of iron from furnace, new day for iron new life...in to the next life its sits and waits...

Niko

Great nugget dude!!!!

Wonderful post all the way.

I may have to give that duel air system a try.

Mark

Thanks Mark and Cyrus :lol:

I havent done single tuyere, but find two...more better. More air, less velosity, less blow out.

Also it gives more heat/CO...This according books. Heat yes It can be measured..but CO instruments I have not.

This bloom as its, is self consolidated no hammern at all...the idea im most happy + that its actual iron.

Bloom will wait week and I will cut, clean and sort it...It has new life ahead ;)

Niko

Hi Jan

looks like very nice iron you have.. has abit of P in one but thats ok

- do you think the Al that is in one, was abit from refractory or crucible ?

very nice !

Alan,

I regularly get "Direct-reduction blooms" with carbon content below .02%, in fact, I assign it a negative carbon value as I believe it contains some iron oxide. These are blooms located below the air intake...the other direct reduced iron, are bits of sponge I will look at tonight but I recall they are very low as well.

Niko,

That inner lining looks like a crucible but the walls seem a bit thin..is it a form used in induction melting, backed up with sand and borax, did you shape it ? I am very exited about the project and the link to the poem you posted..and the mystery as to why Niko needs soft pure iron.

Jan

Hi Niko

a very successful plan !

- from ore to iron in a re-usable furnace ... that is great

are you going to try to fold or squish together the bloom a little .. it maybe easier to fit in crucible with small bars

it would also be nice to save some for a twistcore project... all homemade iron and steel, fit for a king !

great pic's by the way... smelter is very cool

Smoke rises from smelters furnace,now has ended the journey of smith and ore from the marshes...

Has it done its deeds the charcoal, smelter...giving birth to origin...origin of iron.

Rises the origin of iron from furnace, new day for iron new life...in to the next life its sits and waits...

Niko

Hi Jan

looks like very nice iron you have.. has abit of P in one but thats ok

- do you think the Al that is in one, was abit from refractory or crucible ?

very nice !

Greg,

The Phosphorous comes from the oak charcoal if the furnace is run at a very high temperature....the Al, and Si levels in blooms are all over the map, due to the fire clay-ash slag. Better to refine the metal a bit and then have it tested.

Jan

Niko,

Nice bloom...I am dying to know what that new life will be.

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

Greg,

The Phosphorous comes from the oak charcoal if the furnace is run at a very high temperature....the Al, and Si levels in blooms are all over the map, due to the fire clay-ash slag. Better to refine the metal a bit and then have it tested.

Jan

Jan,

When you say " refine the metal a bit ", did you have any particular method in mind?

Jan,

When you say " refine the metal a bit ", did you have any particular method in mind?

Greg,

No particular method just kneading it to expel slag.

Jan

Hi Niko

a very successful plan !

- from ore to iron in a re-usable furnace ... that is great

are you going to try to fold or squish together the bloom a little .. it maybe easier to fit in crucible with small bars

it would also be nice to save some for a twistcore project... all homemade iron and steel, fit for a king !

great pic's by the way... smelter is very cool

Greg thanks :D

Thinking that if I just could hammer it cold and get some slag / pits of unbunred charcoal off and use band saw get it

smaller bits, so it will fit in crucible better.

Hey thats cool idea..I will save 1/4 of this and forge it to bar, after all this bloom is just about 10kg ...would love to send sample for analysis but have to see how much money I have for that...same price I do get one new crucible, however would be interesting to know.

I have new crucibel all ready for this remelt A8 so its big ingot if all goes as planed ;)

BR

Niko

Thinking that if I just could hammer it cold and get some slag / pits of unbunred charcoal off and use band saw get it

smaller bits, so it will fit in crucible better.

Heat until red hot and drop in big bucket of cold water?

Granted if it doesn't have much carbon it will not be brittle - but if there are spots of higher carbon content, would it not make it easier to break apart ( not to mention give a better idea of how homogeneous it is )???

I'm not suggesting that it actually be done ( unless you want to ), I'm just throwing it out to test the idea.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Ore.jpg

Niko

Niko,

Did you collect this ore yourself? If so, how deep was it and how long did it take to gather all that. Some of the water storage tanks here accumulate a rusty sludge on the bottoms ( I have thought about saving it and smelting it). There is a pond nearby which has some bog ore just on top of the clay layer which seals the bottom..I have seen the ore, but not in the concentrations you have there. I will have another look...where is my azadon .

Jan