Richard van Dijk

Wing Chung Swords & the Hobbit

Hi All

It has been a long time since I showed my face here, the reason being that since February I have been working for Weta, this was an opportunety I just could not sat no to. I joined Peter Lyon and Tristan his apprentice, making swords and knives for the Hobbit, what Peter can do on a grinder is absolutely amazing. At times we do some big hours so I have little energy left to spend time on my own work.

Unfortunataly I can't show or tell anything about what we are making there it will all be revealed in the movie.

Back in December I posted some pic's of a set of Wing Chung Swords My link I completed these a little while ago and I finally have some time to post the pictures of the finished set.

Hope you like it.

Richard

SMALL P1060439.jpg

SMALL P1060441.jpg

SMALL P1060505.jpg

Richard,

I was just wondering what had happened to you the other day.. I'm glad to hear you are working on exciting things...

I remember these from when you posted them before...

Really nice work to get them so evenly matched...

Pardon my ignorance... what is Weta stand for?

Good to see you backbiggrin.gif

Dick

Hey Richard,

Great to see you posting again. Your work is always a joy to view and the Weta project is a great cause. Leave it up to man to destroy something that has been around 190 million years, and only man can be the one to make sure that it is around another 190 million.

Thanks for posting your work as a bladesmith and as a conservationist. Wade

Edited by Wade Hougham

totally awesome that your working on the movie !

i thought your absence may have been due to the terrible earthquake and rebuilding afterwards.. from what i saw on the news, it was truly terrible

the swords are very nice.. two in the same case ! thats totally awesome, i think all cool blades should come in pairs ;)

take care and glad your back

Greg

Hey Richard,

Great to see you posting again. Your work is always a joy to view and the Weta project is a great cause. Leave it up to man to destroy something that has been around 190 million years, and only man can be the one to make sure that it is around another 190 million.

Thanks for posting your work as a bladesmith and as a humanitarian. Wade

Ever watch the Avatar/ Last Airbender cartoon with your kids? "Prince Zuko", one of the main characters, wields a pair of Dao that fit together in one sheath like that. Is that still considered wing chung, or is that just artistic license?

Good looking work, by the way. Can't wait to see the Hobbit, I hope they do it justice...

Edited by Sean McGrath

Are you freakin' kidding me!!! After years of seeing all those cheap trash-metal chrome plated and aluminum replicas in the windows of Chinese martial arts stores. It never even occurred to me that these swords could, or would be taken seriously by anyone...Those are just Wow man.

Nice work!!

totally awesome that your working on the movie !

i thought your absence may have been due to the terrible earthquake and rebuilding afterwards.. from what i saw on the news, it was truly terrible

That's what I was thinking too, glad you're more than okay!

Can't wait to see what you guys have cooked up for the movie. B)

Gorgeous work Richard. :)

I remember hearing a long while back from a little birdie that you were possibly joining team with Weta for the Hobbit. And not a surprise at all.. ;)

Cant even imagine what you guys are cooking up right now... There could not be more deserving and talented people working on the Hobbit.

Peter has been a constant encouragement to me via email for the past year or so. Gave a lot of good guidance when we did our small contribution for the movie Thor. Really appreciated his advice.

I'm guessing you guys are nearing the end of your work for the two Hobbit films? or will you be crafting work well through the entirety of the 2+ year production?

I have some good friends in NZ who own a sheep farm, and a close bud here who lived with them last year and worked for them on their farm. He's contemplating another extended trip to live & work there for a while, and was asking if I'd be interested in tagging along. So I dont know what Weta's rules are for visiting artists, but if the rules and if life allowed I would die to sneak by and see what you guys are up to.

And when you guys are allowed to share the work you've been up to please dont hesitate to share it with all of us here on the forum... ;)

That's not knoife. THIS is a knoife!

wields a pair of Dao that fit together in one sheath like that. Is that still considered wing chung, or is that just artistic license?

Wing Chung is a style of Chinese martial arts, and, as in many of the arts, certain weapons have become associated with that art. In the case of Wing Chung the butterfly knives (paired, short, choppy blades) are part of the system. Because Wing Chung uses a lot of 2 hand trapping moves, that twin short blades fit nicely into the style. I don't know that double Dao are a Wing Chung thing, but there are a number of styles that do use them, chiefly the Wu Shu styles.

BTW, my knowledge of Wing Chung is mostly peripheral, I've studied Tai Ch'i in some detail, and just a bit of Wing Chung. Tai Ch'i, for instance, uses a Saber (or sometimes a Dao), Chen (straight double edged sword), spear or staff, and a walking stick, in the weapons forms. One of the really rare Tai Ch'i styles uses a pair of fans, sometimes with edges.

And just to add my admiration, those are the coolest butterfly knives EVER!

Geoff

those are very cool butterfly swords (knives... swords... i don't really know what to call them). They are just awesome, though.

kc

those are very cool butterfly swords (knives... swords... i don't really know what to call them). They are just awesome, though.

kc

You're the Dao man Kevin. Set down and watch Avatar with your kids, then make a pair like Zuko uses... ;)

Edit: Looks like somebody has already attempted it...

Edited by Sean McGrath

:o Awesome.

Hey watch that show anyway with or without the kids, and don't be embarrassed by it. It's fun show.

Hey watch that show anyway with or without the kids, and don't be embarrassed by it. It's fun show.

Yes it is. It seems to have been aimed towards adults just as much as for kids.

Sweetness. You did far better than the double dao attempt that has been shown. Avatar is a fun show. I'm not affraid to admit it, and I'm a sullen(ish) 15 year old. :D

Maybe a bit of a blast from the past but Knives 2013 and Blademag (www.blademag.com) pay attention to this set. Good job Richard.

Marcel

Hi Marcel

Thank you very much for that info, I was not aware of that.

I would like to chase that Blade Mag up can you tell me what issue?

Knives 2013 will also be on my list to get now.

Hartelijke groeten

Richard

After seeing those I see you influence on those seax blades in the film. Absolutely beautiful.

Really looking forward to the films .

Thanks for posting

Hi Marcel

Thank you very much for that info, I was not aware of that.

I would like to chase that Blade Mag up can you tell me what issue?

Knives 2013 will also be on my list to get now.

Hartelijke groeten

Richard

Richard, graag gedaan. Here is the link to the blademag:

http://www.blademag.com/profiles/blogs/everybody-wing-chung-tonight-with-knives-2013-wing-chung-swords

Marcel