Sign in to follow this  

One hand Sword

Here's a sword I've made a while ago...

the blade's L6 Steel, the handle bog oak and the fitting are cast from bronze...

2004071202_1.jpg

Daniel

Joe,

thanks...

Swordmaking... well I only can repeat the advice given by many others: take your time...

The first sword I made wasn't quiet what I wanted it to be... practice impoves :)

Personally I find sowds to be a really rewarding work... I love forging and finishing knives, however a sword's got something very special to it. It's kind of difficult (at least for me) to put in words, but when you start out with the steel for a sword and many days (weeks, months,...) later end up with the hardened, polished and mounted sword... always kind of special.

Daniel

That's a fantastic looking blade :)

Any advice for someone just learning the craft?  I posted some of my work here before seeing some of the other posts, and I gotta say I feel reeeealy small now lol :)  The work I have seen on this forum is both inspiring and daunting at the same time.  I hope I can get to your level one of these days :)

That's a fantastic looking blade :)

Any advice for someone just learning the craft?

Start with smaller things then swords...

At the beginning it can be quiet difficult to keep long blades straight, the bevels centered (or wherever you may want them to be), the distal and width taper correct (to produce a well balanced blade)... and last but not least the heat treating of a sword requiers a bit more "skill" as knife-blades do...

put in a short sentence? - Get good at knives and then start with swords...  

There are still many more things I want to learn... but I believe this to be one of the beatuiful things about this craft: there's always something more to learn, somthing to improve, something new to try out...

That's a good looking sword. I checked out your web site and really liked the galleries. Quite a contrast, two guys forging steel against the stark backdrop of those buildings and pavement.

Oh yes, that was really quiet a contrast :)

but inside of that ugly building was the "Second Swiss Knifemakers and Bladesmith's Exhibition of Zurich"  and I was there holding a couple of forging demonstrations with a friend of mine...

I quiet liked it, especially as I regard it as a chance to show (to the public)  a craft which many don't even know that it still exists..

And I'm always amazed at how many just stop by (was a bit crowded during the damascus demo) and start asking questions... some of the "old ones" still remember having seend blacksmith's at work but the kids :)