OK this is my first razor i'll finish the grind today after i sell a knife in a few hours ,this is HHH damascus steel feather pattern i just saw razor in it i was going to start a pocket knife but just saw razor in this piece. the wood is bacote ,and as soon as i get some washers its going to geather What do you think ? right now it's a 8/8 but when i'm done with the grind i'm sure its gonna be thinner I'm using a 6" wheel for the hollow grind. . i'll finish the handle after i make sure the grind is right i left the handle fat until i know what size the razor will be i do plan on it being alot skinnier . its alot longer than the pic shows the handle is 5.6in long

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8029.jpg

IMG_8041.jpg

That is some beautiful damascus, and really complimented by the wood. Can't wait to see it finished!

-Dan

finished grinding still need to sharpen also thinned out the handle as soon as the washers get here i'll pin it also need to gloss up the handle some just wanted to show a update

IMG_8061.jpg

IMG_8081.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

IMG_8067.jpg

have you used a straight razor?

That's all I've used for the last 8 or 9 years; a 100+ year old Frederick Reynolds (Sheffield). (Bought it NIB too, believe it or not) I've also got one made by Case, but I've never been able to get it to shave anywhere near as smooth as the Reynolds.

About twenty licks on the strop each time, and it's as smooth as any modern razor, plus, you can take three or four days worth of growth off with one swipe, instead of sawing/rinsing/sawing/rinsing like you do with a modern multi-bladed POS. I only have to hone it about once a year, and it doesn't take much.

I really don't know why people ever quit using them. I guess if your hands shake badly, they may be dangerous, but I've only cut myself a couple times, and both were just minor nicks like you can get with any other razor...

I would be interested in what knowledge people have of successfully making a shaveable razor.. i can make it so it will shave but not the comfort level ....i had the cutting edge single chisel edge at 12degrees, honed and stropped (seemingly properly) and it will shave ok, but up under nose, or neck it really pulls, leaves ya lil teary eyed....

Excellent piece and good eye on materials!

Edited by ryanwrath

Great looking razor there man! I'm chicken...beard's too tough...kinda like steel wire. I'd be scrapin' my face all to hell with a straight razor.

Great looking razor there man! I'm chicken...beard's too tough...kinda like steel wire. I'd be scrapin' my face all to hell with a straight razor.

A+ on the razor, I kind of got things off track there. I don't know how well it will shave, but it definitely looks good.

My beard is tough too, but I leave soap on my face the whole time I'm in the shower, then when I get out I immediately use the old fashioned "Williams" shaving soap and a brush. Let that stuff soak in for a minute or two and it'll soften you right up. You can hear it cutting through the stubble, kind of a unique "popping" sound, but it comes off smooth as silk as long as you keep the razor properly maintained.

it will shave ok, but up under nose...

Even a high quality professionally made one like mine will pull under your nose because of the angle you are trying to make it shave at. I guess that's why barbers did such a smokin' business in shaving back in the day, because they were shaving upwards, and were able to maintain the proper angle. I wouldn't suggest trying to shave upwards on your own. Thats why I have a mustache and goatee most of the time... ;)

Edited by Sean McGrath