matthewzeeb

1075 Choji

Hey everybody! I've been experimenting with various different methods of polishing lately here and I'm starting to get to the point where I'm really happy with the results. This one is 1075 (from Admiral); it was clayed with Rutland Black furnace cement and quenched in Parks #50 oil. I'll be posting more pictures when I get a sheath made for it, but for now I wanted to get the picture of the hamon up. I'd love to hear what you think!

hesperus.jpg

Edited by matthewzeeb

that's pretty neat! Did you have the piercing in the blade before you put the clay on for the hamon? Looks like you matched the clay shape to the piercing or vise versa. I like the effect.

Nice overall blade, too. Not just the heat treat and polish, but the whole thing is good.

kc

Uh, Kevin...

That's the stamped in makers mark with some white highlights off of the hamon.

Matthew,

Wish I could get my hamon to look that nice. Great job! Care to share your experiments and thoughts on etching and polishing techniques?

~Bruce~

Bruce, I think Kevin was referring to the 'cut out' at the spine.

No Craig, Bruce is sort of right. It is the maker's mark, its just that it looked (and still does) to me like it goes all the way through the blade. It probably doesn't but when I look at it, it looks like a slug in the shape of his symbol has been removed from the blade. It does echo the shape of the hamon pretty well, though.

Looks cool, whatever the actual reason its there, it is a nice interaction.

kc

Wow! I'm not an expert on hamons, but that one looks pretty awesome to me.

Cheers!

--Dave

Hey guys! Sorry I didn't get back on here sooner... Yep, you're right, it's my logo. I just etched it a bit deep. The interesting thing is, (and I don't know how clear this will be from the picture) part of the logo intersects with the hamon which means the etch of the logo is at different depths. At first I thought my etch was uneven, but after a while the lightbulb came on and I realized the line follows the hamon.

In terms of my polish, I did the lemon juice etch with a cleaning off of the oxides several times till the hamon showed up nicely. Then to finish it off I used 3 in 1 oil and 800 grit loose abrasive (probably the equivalent to pumice that some of you guys are using) which I rubbed the entire blade with. Then comes the part that's finally made the difference for me. I used polish (Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish) to shine up the middle (softer part) of the blade. Oil 'er up and you're done!!

Give me a yell if you guys have other questions. By no means whatsoever do I have this stuff completely figured out, but I'm finally starting to get a polish I like, so I'm pretty happy about that!! :D