Pattern welded flower

I have made this piece for a blacksmithing competition here in the UK in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how I get on.

One of the biggest problems with anything like this is that I always try to make them so they are "takedown". Not for maintenence but ease of finishing. To clean, etch and finish the individual pieces is alot easier.

This is made from 5 seperate pieces. The stalk, a small bell shaped cup at the back of the flower. The five individual feather pattern leaves have been welded to a steel ring (between you and me, thats a flash description for a 1/2" washer). The petals are made from one piece of 160 layer nickel 200 and carbon steel. The bud is from another piece of feather pattern and is really a nut that holds it all together.

The flower is 6 1/2" wide

comp-flower-copy.jpg

Mick.

This is made from 5 seperate pieces. The stalk, a small bell shaped cup at the back of the flower. The five individual feather pattern leaves have been welded to a steel ring (between you and me, thats a flash description for a 1/2" washer). The petals are made from one piece of 160 layer nickel 200 and carbon steel. The bud is from another piece of feather pattern and is really a nut that holds it all together.

The flower is 6 1/2" wide

Mick.

Mick how this is received depends upon the viewer's understanding of what it is they are looking at.....maybe at the base you can have an "as forged" in the rough with one side partially finished? I have found that presenting work of this high caliber with so much backstory and inclusive skill is often lost on the uninitiated who simply see a metal flower with a pattern. That fact that the pattern is not simply a surface treatment may need to be explained in some manner.

It will both deepen the viewer's appreciation of the item displayed and allow you to demonstrate your mastery of the medium, but in words.

I have seen some glass artists use a photo display with "action" or "steps in the making of"....I suggest you do more than just show the completed work.

AND

I hate you just a little bit more now. :angry:

Ric

You just changed my perception of what's possible as a blacksmith. Thank you for sharing!

What Ric said. :P

I know it's unbelievably awesome, you know it's unbelievable awesome, and everyone else here knows as well, but my wife just looked at it and said "What is it?" I gave her a slack-jawed look and said "It's a flower, made entirely of incredibly detailed pattern-welded steel!" (She is my wife and has been with me since before I ever hit hot steel and indeed helped me start my journey into forging, so she does know what's involved, but she's still incredibly practical and pragmatic). Her response was: Well, yes it's kind of pretty, but what's the end goal?" :ph34r::rolleyes:

I know, you can't live with or without 'em. :wacko: I agree a few process pics or something similar to let the ones who have no idea whatsoever how this can be done might be a good idea.

And again, what Ric said, after the AND. :lol: You, sir, are incredible. I tip my hat in your general direction, and genuflect accordingly!

Art is the only way to describe this.

You have (for the 80th time) gained my uttermost respect! B)

Greg

It's beautiful!

That is a stunning tour-de-force. We, as knife makers, are so caught up in the knifemaking uses of pattern welded steel that overlook other uses for the material. I am in awe,

Thank you

Geoff

We, here, certainly appreciate it. That is beautiful. Its hard to "rank" art so you can never predict, but darn that is a nice combo of technical ability and "eye."

I am awed and humbled even more.

good luck.

kc

Mick,

I like the fact that you took the time to make the patterns specific for the flower AND made them ,the patterns in proportion for their function...

Over the top planning and execution mantongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

I agree with Ric & Alan about describing how it is made . On the other hand the Judges shouldn't need any explaination...

I hope there will be a link so we can see the whole show... will you post that if there is one?

Thanks & Good luck to you

Dick

Thanks for all the kind words about my work.

Ric and Alan, I completely agree with what you say about explaining the process with photos or examples. This is something that I have at a gallery that sells my work. There I have 6 pieces that try to explain the process. Starting with a bundle of 10 pieces of steel, wired together. The last piece is a bar of about 160 layers, left square on one end and drawn out to the other. All surfaces have been ground and etched to see the flow of the pattern. All this is explained with a short "how its done" write up.

However from what I remember from doing the show competitions about 10 years ago, I think it is frowned upon to even have a makers mark on the entry as this could influence the judges decision, or something along those lines. To do a full right up will pretty much give the game away.

These competitions are only judged by Master Blacksmiths of the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths any way. The show schedule lists who the judge is. I seem to remember that he does not think very highly of damascus work, or I may have got that wrong. I used to do 3-4 shows on a regular basis for about 4 years and I think my work will be recognised immediately.

Entering the competition is really more of an excuse to go and meet up with some friends from past shows and have a few days away relaxing in the New Forest.

Alan, I had to get the dictionary out for "genuflect". I bow in your general direction as well, Sir (was that a line from Monty Python)

Mick.

Dick, I think we were typing at the same time as I have just seen your post. That is my opinion as well about the Judges not needing an explanation. The realtiy is though that there are only a few people that I know off within the Judging circle of The WCB that know much about pattern welding. Bob Hobbs is one that springs to mind and he is just the most talented blacksmith over here in the UK and the only living recipient of the Gold Medal Award from The WBC. There have only ever been five of these wards handed out.

For the judge, the petals are explainable as just random pattern steel, but the leaves and mosaic bud will get his grey matter doing overtime. The back of the leaves and petals have only been shot blasted clean before etching. To the trained eye you can see the layers through the hammer marks, but some people will pick it up and know doubt think as the pattern is only on the front and not the back, it must have been painted on.

Mick.

...Alan, I had to get the dictionary out for "genuflect". I bow in your general direction as well, Sir (was that a line from Monty Python) Mick.

That line had to do with wind, if memory serves.

Lovely. B)

Dick, I think we were typing at the same time as I have just seen your post. That is my opinion as well about the Judges not needing an explanation. The realtiy is though that there are only a few people that I know off within the Judging circle of The WCB that know much about pattern welding. Bob Hobbs is one that springs to mind and he is just the most talented blacksmith over here in the UK and the only living recipient of the Gold Medal Award from The WBC. There have only ever been five of these wards handed out.

For the judge, the petals are explainable as just random pattern steel, but the leaves and mosaic bud will get his grey matter doing overtime. The back of the leaves and petals have only been shot blasted clean before etching. To the trained eye you can see the layers through the hammer marks, but some people will pick it up and know doubt think as the pattern is only on the front and not the back, it must have been painted on.

Mick.

yep.... I have had other smiths tell me that some of my mosaic was a trick because you can not get that type of detail in the steel. ..what they are really saying though is that THEY can not get that type of detail in the steel.

One can never assume that just because one is a thing that one understands a thing.

Ric

Dick,

The competitions are open to anyone from anywhere as far as I know. All you do is pay £5 per item entry fee.

There are tens shows in various parts of the UK during the year that hold these blacksmithing competitions with the Show Champion getting 10 points and the Reserve Champion getting 4 points. The points get totalled up after the last show and the winner is awarded The National Champion Blacksmith of the year.

The shows rules, regs and judging are goverened by The Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths and The National Blacksmiths Competition Committee. I don't think membership is a requirement or I am just an imposter.

Mike you are right, it was wind.

Mick.

I have just read, and this is news to me,that you have to be a resident in the UK to compete in these competitions.

Here is the NBCC website http://www.blacksmithscompetition.co.uk/index.html

Edited by Mick Maxen

That line had to do with wind, if memory serves.

Lovely. B)

Perhaps I can shed some light on this whole" General Direction" thing.

I am not speaking for Mick of course but...

If you look at the computer keyboard ,the "L" is directly below and oh so close to the "O" so...

If one was to miss said "L" when typing the word "BLOW" then it would read as" Bow in your general direction".

Of course this is all based on serious Bladesmith type historical reenactment.

Then again I could be just full of "Hot Air"

Steve