A while ago Owen asked for some help in repairing some bellows he had. Here is a brief WIP of the rebuild.

The bellows were made by Allday’s and Onions in March 1892. Tried plan A to get it back into life, with some Newcatle brown, shots of jim beam and an emergency can of woodpecker cider.

holidays201011439.jpg

bellows005.jpg

Proof its really old?

bellows013.jpg

These appeared to be in reasonable condition but on closer inspection the leather was very dry and suffering from a bit of red rot. The wooden boards were also having issues with wood worm.

Here are a few images of the dismantle of the bellows. I was attempting to keep as many of the original nails as possible.

deutchland104.jpg

deutchland120.jpg

bellows001-1.jpg

deutchland116.jpg

deutchland115.jpg

Here is a hedgehog bellows. I am plugging the nail holes with matches to reduce any chance of the nails not holding when putting the replacement leather on.

bellows017.jpg

For me the interesting part came when exposing the bellows behind the Tue. The way that the joint was padded by wood shaving probably from planning surprised me but this would give a smooth transition from the narrow section to the larger part.

deutchland125.jpg

deutchland123.jpg

These are double chambered with a single rib in top and bottom chamber.

Here is the finished piece supported to see how much air it could pump out. If you are reading all the words and not just looking at the pictures you may have noticed the bellows are upside down. They worked better the other way aroundbellows023.jpg

Andrew

I remember seeing that leaning against the wall back in April...Wish I'd been there to help. :( Nice pics, though. B) And I did notice it was upside-down and thus the valves wouldn't work right, but I figured you knew that too. :lol:

Andrew,

Nice job on the rebuild... It is nice to see history restored ...

Is that a hinge in the one pic where the chambers meet at the nozzel? sorry I don't have a clue to the correct names of the parts.

do you have any more pic of it?

Thanks for posting this...

Dick

Hi Richard,

The top and bottom board have leather hinges nailed to the boards. The top board has a wooden strip to between the board and nozzel. You should be able to see the make up of the bellows. There are the top board, rib, centre board, rib and bottom board. The ribs have small straps running on the inside to the boards to keep them central. There were at least two layers of leather covering the hinged sections to make this area air tight. If you need any more information I will try and help

Andrew

deutchland124.jpg

Andrew,

thanks,

I still have a question about what looks like some rusted metal ?, a wedge at the end of the board and a round piece that looks like it could be a hinge pin.....

what are those?... the larger pic you showed in the first part of the thread shows it closer up than the photo you just posted...

Thanks,

Dick

Hi Richard,

I know understand what you are seeing. If you look on the picture of the bellows with match sticks. This shows the two leather hinges. The round rod you are seeing, on the other image, is the head of a nail. Above the hinge was an angled piece of wood which you can see. Not totally sure of what it does other then filling the void and stopping the top board being over extended. Though the leather sides would also restrict this.

I think I saw ages ago some plans on IFI of a set of bellows similar to these. My search fu has failed in finding anything.

Andrew