Sign in to follow this  
matthewzeeb

Hexagon pattern

I've been experimenting with new ways to achieve an interesting finish that isn't super labor intensive. Here's my latest results. The effect was achieved by using vinyl to mask off parts of the blade and ferric acid to etch. I may have to figure out a better way to remove the vinyl after the etch, though! Drove me nuts trying to pick off all those little vinyl hexagon shapes!! :)

hex_skinner_detail.jpg

hex_skinner.jpg

That's cool.

Greg

was that some kind of sheet you stuck to the blade? Or a bunch of seperate hexagons you stuck on one by one? I can't tell from the pic.

Either way, it's a really cool way of finishing the knife. I'm assuming the dark lines were unmasked and the etched parts while the whitish were masked off and unetched?

was that some kind of sheet you stuck to the blade? Or a bunch of seperate hexagons you stuck on one by one? I can't tell from the pic.

Either way, it's a really cool way of finishing the knife. I'm assuming the dark lines were unmasked and the etched parts while the whitish were masked off and unetched?

The vinyl is cut and all the little bits that aren't part of the design are pulled off the backing paper and thrown away. Then application tape (it's a little bit like masking tape but the adhesive is different and less aggressive) is applied over the design, then the whole thing is pulled off the backing paper and applied to the knife. When the application tape is removed it leaves the hexagons in the same positions as they were on the backing paper. It's basically the same technique as any other prespaced decal (car dealerships use a lot of these on the bumpers of the cars they sell).

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I'll have to get a handle on this one and a sheath made for it...

Nice effect and nicely done. As for removing the vinyl, how about some heat? A hot water bath ought to soften the adhesive at a safe temperature...

Brian

hells yes! you seem to make some very good knives my friend, and you have a good feel for the design aspect of the craft, thanks for sharing