Titanium Laminate TI-LAM

Hello ALL,

Just so you don't think I am "stuck" in the past with my techniques.

I have been making titanium pattern weld for some years now and will soon have material for sale in several forms.

Mardi Meshejian came by the shop many years ago and showed me how he welds the material and then he and I worked on a different method. Mardi and I did some pioneering Mosaic work which he turned into product.

I am finally revisiting the material and will have interesting things to show in November.

Patrick Hastings had a few pieces he asked me to make and I look forward to see what he does with the material as well.

http://www.doorcountyforgeworks.com/Titanium_Laminate.html

Ric

Amazing stuff Ric. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Do you have to dry weld or can you use flux? :-)

Cool stuff, Ric!

I remember seeing one of Mardi's Ti/steel laminate blades at Harley's years ago. It's one of those things that most people who saw it said "But you can't DO that! :blink: " I seem to recall Mardi smiling and agreeing that it didn't really exist because it wasn't possible. :lol:

Amazing stuff Ric. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Do you have to dry weld or can you use flux? :-)

Given my experience with the stainless welding and the disappointing fiasco which that turned into I will not be divulging the techniques used for this product line.....but you knew that was coming didn't you Scott?

Ric

couple years back i saw some of it on the patent site... thought they used an inert gas in the canister..

hey Nice welding there !

i would have called it " Ric Ti "

by chance is Patrick making a Ti tsuba :o

Scott... you can use explosives to do it... if you have the moxy heh heh ;)

couple years back i saw some of it on the patent site... thought they used an inert gas in the canister..

hey Nice welding there !

i would have called it " Ric Ti "

by chance is Patrick making a Ti tsuba :o

Scott... you can use explosives to do it... if you have the moxy heh heh ;)

I'm just sorta guessing here, Greg, but I'd think you're on the right track- probably also high surface finish on adjoining layers would be involved, too, and I'm thinking not too high a temperature but squeezed together in a press and maybe pressure kept on the initial block for a certain amount of time? Don Bell has made some beautiful bolsters for his folders from anodised TI, patternwelded this stuff would be spectacular.

Just to give the guessers a half a chance...

When I saw Mardi's sword he did at Harley's way back, he mentioned a 3rd element used as a "glue".

No idea if that's what you're doing now, Ric, but it'll be fun to see what you've been able to do with the stuff. I wish you much success.

Ver cool stuff Ric. When will it be available and how much will it cost? Will you offer it in different patterns or is it meant to be forged? Also what is the blue layer? I'm sure I'll have to save up for some but the wheels in my head are spinning with ideas. -Justin

Wowsers :)

Great stuff Ric, thanks for that!

I've worked with Ti a bit (nothing like this here, though :D) and it's certainly not the easiest to work. I used to work at a factory that made racing bicycle frames...we used several different Ti alloys in the frames. My actual job was gluing in carbon fiber components but I did get to play with Ti machining and TIG welding too. Ti is stubborn, springy, and the dust burns like thermite...

Just curious, what is the intention for this P-welded material? Would it make decent blades, or is it more for fittings and the like?

Would this be classified as Timascus or Tikume?

No as those terms are not mine to use.

"Timascus" is a copy written term defining a method patent for bonding titanium alloys.

I have only heard the term "Tikume" on one posting on Bladeforums.

My product is solid phase welded titanium as well, but my method allows for quite a bit more patterning possibilities than I have seen in the past and varies quite a bit from other production methods.

Ric

Tom Ferry has done some interesting things along similar lines:

ferry_timascusfolders_8x10.jpg

Edited by nakedanvil

Hey, thats what I was going to do with it <_< Thats alright I still will, as soon as I can afford some. Don't know if mine will look that good though. -Justin

Tom Ferry has done some interesting things along similar lines:

Yes he has Grant, but then it stalled. I have not seen any more advanced patterning beyond the normal simple manipulations.

I'll have some product up at the end of the year which, I feel, is the next step.

Mardi Meshejian and I did some rather advanced mosaic years ago and then we both went onto other things...I believe it is time to revisit that idea.

The technique I have worked out makes many things possible now that were rather difficult before.

Ric

...The technique I have worked out makes many things possible now that were rather difficult before.

Ric

I would guess you figured out how to move a hot billet of titanium bits that just discovered a room air source of oxygen.... :lol: and didn't burn parts of the shop, or the floor or yourself at the same time.

Yes he has Grant, but then it stalled. I have not seen any more advanced patterning beyond the normal simple manipulations.

I'll have some product up at the end of the year which, I feel, is the next step.

Mardi Meshejian and I did some rather advanced mosaic years ago and then we both went onto other things...I believe it is time to revisit that idea.

The technique I have worked out makes many things possible now that were rather difficult before.

Ric

Yeah, like most of us he has gotten distracted by other things, like engraving and inlaying:

whitetail_a.jpg

Edited by nakedanvil

Yeah, like most of us he has gotten distracted by other things, like engraving and inlaying:

That is nice, but I prefer deeper relief carving and then inlay.

Like this work by Patrick Hastings

http://www.taganearts.com/koi2ab.html

Ric

• 7 months later...

Hello All,

Just got a call from Chuck Bybee and though I did not find the name on my searches he owns a company with the "Ti-Lam" name..and of course "Timascus" as well...so I'll be changing the name of my titanium laminated product to not interfere with his operation.

Ric

This is some beautiful stuff! I missed seeing this until now, and I must say, your laminate is superb. Shame about the name, though..

John

Hello All,

Just got a call from Chuck Bybee and though I did not find the name on my searches he owns a company with the "Ti-Lam" name..and of course "Timascus" as well...so I'll be changing the name of my titanium laminated product to not interfere with his operation.

Ric

Sorry to hear that Ric. The name game is always a PITA.

-d