Klaas remmen

Shamshir

This shamshir was recently made by Gotscha (www.gotscha.nl). It is a remake of an 16th century shamshir. The damask looks like old persian wootz.

Enjoy....

DSC03694.jpg

DSC03689.jpg

DSC03681.jpg

DSC03680.jpg

DSC03679.jpg

DSC03678.jpg

DSC03675.jpg

DSC03674.jpg

Klaas, that is indeed breathtaking!

Can we get some more information?

This shamshir was recently made by Gotscha (www.gotscha.nl). It is a remake of an 16th century shamshir. The damask looks like old persian wootz.

Enjoy....

Looks great, but I have to ask, why damask and not wootz?

outstanding. I don't even really feel qualified to comment, other than to say that is beautiful.

kc

Beautiful work from Gotscha!

See you soon, Klaas!

why damascus and not wootz... because it is hard to find someone who can make these blades this big with this kind of pattern in wootz.. :-)

Gotscha tested this blade and is is flexible, and also able to cut trough an iron nail. Also, it rings like a bell for a very long time. (this test is said to be an old test to test the quality of the steel)

why damascus and not wootz... because it is hard to find someone who can make these blades this big with this kind of pattern in wootz.. :-)

Gotscha tested this blade and is is flexible, and also able to cut trough an iron nail. Also, it rings like a bell for a very long time. (this test is said to be an old test to test the quality of the steel)

Gotscha contacte me about this and other projects he is doing, but the scheduling did not work on me end.

He does wonderful work.

I hope to work with him on some pattern-weld and wootz swords in the future, but I need more lead time than we have had in the past.

Ric

Gotscha contacte me about this and other projects he is doing, but the scheduling did not work on me end.

He does wonderful work.

I hope to work with him on some pattern-weld and wootz swords in the future, but I need more lead time than we have had in the past.

Ric

Klaas,

Thanks for sharing these pictures..the sword is beautiful and work is amazing. I am curious why that guard stands away from the blade..is it for looks, to catch another blade in battle or to sit in a sheath...or ?

Ric,

Do you know who gave him your name?

Jan

WOW!

I second that wow!

Beautiful, just beautiful.

that is wonderful and the pattern looks a lot more like old persian wootz than any modern wootz that I have seen

great piece really loverly

@ Jan: The guard is always like this with (Persian) shamshirs... I dont quite know why, but the piece that stands out goes over the sheath, as you can see on the pictures.

Beautiful fittings and sword

-gold overlay is fantastic

-bolchaq and kollah are extremely well done Wow

- and i have to say the blade is outstanding ... to recreate the look in patternweld is truly unreal....

very skillful

Greg

All other steel parts on sheath and sword are made from solid C-45 steel, no welding, soldering or revetting.

Dear all,

Thanks for the comments on this Shamshir project. On this sword a technique was used with real gold inscribing.

We are thinking about giving a course on gold inscribing at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts ( Antwerp ) in 02 - 2012. It regards the inscribing real gold with a technique of the so called "Koftgari Art". http://www.gotscha.nl/nl-goudinleg.htm

Further information will follow.

Kind regards,

Gotscha

Very nice Gotscha!

Shall we see the Shamshir in Gembloux ???

The guard is always like this with (Persian) shamshirs... I dont quite know why, but the piece that stands out goes over the sheath, as you can see on the pictures.

I would imagine that it helps "seal" the scabbard mouth. I doubt they have much trouble with rain getting in there, but sand and grit definitely would be a problem in that part of the world.