C Daniel

Scatha's Tooth

Hey there everyone, I've drawn up the idea I've had for a long time for a Tolkien inspired knife, Scatha's Tooth.

here's the background on it from wikipedia:

Scatha was a mighty "long-worm" of the Grey Mountains, little is known of Scatha except that he was slain by Fram son of Frumgar (an ancestor of Eorl the Young) in the early days of the Éothéod.

After slaying Scatha, Fram's ownership of his recovered hoard was then disputed by the Dwarves of that region. Fram rebuked this claim, sending them instead Scatha's teeth, with the words, "Jewels such as these you will not match in your treasuries, for they are hard to come by." This led to his death in a feud with the Dwarves, and however the dispute was resolved, Fram's descendants "brought few good tales from the north of that folk" (from The Lord of the Rings).

so when reading this, it set me to thinking that even if the dwarves didn't like the teeth as a gift, they would probably use it anyway to make something with. probably forge the teeth down (assuming the teeth could be forged) into a knife/short sword to slay Fram with out of irony.

attached is a sketch of the blade i plan to make for the KITH. any suggestions, comments, concerns would be greatly appreciated.

110904_105917.jpg

well, mine is also Tolkienic!

I am very conservative regarding the blade knife silouettes, so its not something i would come up with but i like the top one!

Have luck

Cool.

Which one is it, the bottom design or the top one that's upside down?

--Dave

i was trying to decide between the two blade shapes, but i was leaning towards the bottom blade. if anyone has suggestions on a better blade shape, or handle type i would love to hear it.

i wish this forum had a "like" button haha

• Like 1

idetited by Jacques Delfosse

oops! :wacko:

Edited by Jacques Delfosse

My vote goes to the one on top. It feels more "Tolkein-ish" (and I don't mean Peter Lyon-ish).

I've never done a hamon before, but a nice toothy pattern would be a pretty nifty addition.

Ok, I've updated both designs, and put a little more thought into the top design. tell me what you think of each.

110905_090012.jpg

I remember reading somewhere, sometime, that early drafts of what became the Silmarillion had the dragons being mechanical, so forging the teeth would make sense from that standpoint.

I'm liking that top design (the non-subhilt) a lot...

ok i did some forging today, and i worked the steel down to the thickness i'd like. it's about 20 inches total, before i've worked on the tang, so the blade will probably be about 15-16 inches.

110925_113224.jpg

i've aquired a length of copper pipe that i'll melt down with aluminum for the fittings. any suggestions on the best way to get a dark bronze finish without access to liver of sulfur?

i've run into a problem, i have 3 cracks (less than 1/16th of an inch) along the spine. is there any solution to this, or should i start over on fresh stock?

Unless they grind out (and survive a stress test), I would start over again. That's the cold, hard truth of it. :(

i think you're right, i wouldn't want to give someone a flawed blade and i don't think i'm a good enough smith to fix it even if there is a way to do it.

well i just got the second bar forged out, took longer than i like to get at it again. i hope to keep this one crack-free, we'll see how it goes.