MLenaghan

Fergus Dagger WIP

So as soon as I seen there was gonna be a KITH, I opened up a book of Irish legends and found a man named Fergus who weilded a blade called Caladcholg, anyways since I dont stand a chance of making anything of legend :wacko: , I thought a smaller La Tene style dagger that could have been carried as a side arm...

I really dont know how to cast bronze, but making a steel handle thats been "aged" might work out so here's what I got so far

Theres gonna be alot more clean up and carving of the handle, but the general shape and feel is nice in the hand

DSCN0644_01.JPG

as I right know I'm thinking a 12 inch blade will working nicely, and I plan of something Patternwelded but haven't decided exactly what yet...

hope you all like!

Edited by MLenaghan

I just weighed it today and it's only 194 grams (6.8 oz) which was kinda a concern of mine... its maybe a bit more then a normal grip, but I've made a pommel for a larger sword that was 7 oz alone ;)

if it turns out to be too heavy, you could always take out the middle round section and replace it with a wood spacer of the same shape.

Maybe with a blade like this....06270124.JPG(photo from Jeroen's site)

Seriously, I was thinking about making an anthropomorphic dagger for the KITH, and you beat me to it. I have no idea how to pull off those fullers, though....

go for it!

I am all anticipation. Have you drilled or bored the center through the figure yet? Just wondering, 1: because that could be a little difficult, and 2: I wanted to know if the weight you gave was with or without a big hole in the middle.

kc

I'm not too worried about the weight I'm sure its gonna feel right once a blades in it.

Gezell thats pretty much the exact type of blade i had pictured in my head, I just need some free time to forge something. And if you where thinking about doing one too go for it, I'm liking these more and more, I have a large leaf blade I'm thinking of doing almost the same thing for!

Kevin the holes already drilled, I dont have any pics of how I put it together, but I used several piece of rod, then drilled the holes, bent the arms and then did a combo of Tig and Mig welding it all together then grinded all the little details into it

Ok I've got the billet welded up and drawn out, now just have to forge it to shape. I tried something new for me, and thats drawing the billet out sideways, kinda like what Daves doing on his, except I'm only doing it once cause no welds have came apart yet and I dont feel like pushing my luck! ;) Blade's gonna be 16 layers made of 1084 and bandsaw blades

DSCN0665_01.JPGDSCN0664_01.JPG

the second pics I did just to give me a idea of the overall size, I was hoping it would more like a really short sword then just a knife and the size is looking about right...

Looks good.

After you've shaped and HT'ed the blade, I'd do a deep etch on a low layer blade like that. It'll give it more depth.

well I got a change to finish the forging and shaping the blade, I'll heat treat it on another day when I have more focus ^_^

I also thought that the blade just wouldnt flow right if all the layers went straight at the tip, so I tryed something new again! I went for the fish mouth weld of the tip(atleast this is what I'm calling it!) it may not be a 4 bar viking sword but I thought I'd rather screw this one up first befor trying something bigger.

anyways here's some pic of how it's coming along!

DSCN0667_01.JPG DSCN0668_01.JPG

here's the cut, and after it's all welded up...

DSCN0671_01.JPG

after it's all grinded at 220 I had to make sure nothing came apart yet :lol:

DSCN0672_01.JPG

some of the layers warped quite a bit from forging the bevels :angry:, but it still looks nice I guess :rolleyes: and I'm sure it will change more once the edges are ground down the full way...

Looks like you nailed the weld! Good job!!

I think you made a good decision. Having those lines merge in at the tip will add some interest to the pattern.

Ain't it cool when something works the first time?

I just used this method on the short Viking like sword I'm bringing to Ashokan. It worked really nicely, I thought.

Cheers!

--Dave

looking good so far. I like it. That "fish mouth" trick is a good one. I have done it a couple of times, too. It isn't really too hard, because if you goof you just cut it back open and try again!

very cool. The part that would aggravate me the most would be the drilling, and you've done that.

rock on!

kc

hey thanks guys, I'm really glad it worked first try as that doesnt happen to offen...

I've been in the process of switching jobs and havent had more then 30 mins at a time to work of this, but I've got the blade 95% done, it will get more attention befor I peen the grip on, and the grip almost complete I just ned to sand the whole thing even and then give it that right look!

Also decide since this is for the KITH of this forum... my little man should had a Firery bread after all, since so many people here have helped me out and inspired me ^_^

DSCN0675_01.JPGDSCN0676_01.JPG

also happy to say the complete weights down to 365 grams (12.9 oz) which seem heavy enough to mean business but still very fast!

Edited by MLenaghan

That little beard is great. You should do some engraving on it. How did you get it on there? Just drip molten bronze on his face :blink:? If I can make a suggestion, I would be sure to make the handle either shiny steel or totally blued. It would contrast with the blade and make it look less like an integral.

Luke I was thinking about this all day, I think I'm gonna make the blade a bit lighter and the handle darker, and the beard was TIG welded on with a Silicon Bronze rod so it's not gonna go anywhere...

what are you going to do to darken the steel?

i personally think it would look great with a darkened rust then light steel wool aproach.

but hey.

you are WAY better at this game than i am. blow our minds some more!

i think he would look great with braided copper wire hair. ;D

DSCN0679_01.JPG

well I think think Im almost done with the blade...

there seems to been a little rattle even tho everything "was" tight... I need to take care of that now <_< but I think I'll have it figured out by the deadline :D

I enjoyed making this blade so much I'll have a hard time given it up:P there's a short sword sized leaf blade sitting in my room that needs a handle, and I'm thinking something like this would work out well

ok rattle fixed, like most problems in life, it can be solved by hitting it with a hammer... :lol:

seeing the original concept, i didn't think i would like this blade, but WOW was i proven wrong, it's beautiful, great job!

Michael, that came out really well!