possible kith knife

jake cleland

so i don't really have any concrete idea of what i'm going to do for this. i know i want to make something with a nice hamon, and a partial wrap, in leather, copper or rawhide. aside from that, i have no clue, so i figure i'll use this thread to just brainstorm ideas in steel until i hit on something that works.

kith 1.jpg

first up is a half tang, because i've always wanted to try one. the blade is pretty thin, about 3mm, and the fit of the walnut handle is really good. this is it just out of the quench, with the bark knocked off. you can just make out part of the hamon. the carving is just drawn on atm. i like this one quite a bit, has the look of an old hickory boning knife, and a bit of a green river feel to it, but i don't know if it'll turn out cool enough, and it doesn't really fit the brief yet, so we'll see.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

polished the blade, sorted out the wrap, and started the carving:

kith 3.jpg

i really kinda like this knife, though i doubt it'll be my kith. now i'm looking at ainu knives, or i'll maybe go back to the tlingit idea. or something.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

The first photo was a bit hard to make out, now that I can see it, I'm liking it. Reminds me a bit of some scalping knives...

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

I vote for another bird themed Persian blade! I love those pieces of yours.

Oh, wait. Do I get a vote?

LOL!

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

I vote for another bird themed Persian blade! I love those pieces of yours.

Oh, wait. Do I get a vote?

LOL!

--Dave

Dave, didn't you do a bird themed Persian a while back?... For that matter the dark elf blade you suggested would look sweet with a bird... Just saying

Jake I really like the knife man. I hesitate to make a suggestion cause lets be honest your work puts mine to shame, but I got to say you have really sweet lines going on this blade and I think the wrap interferes with the flow. You could undercut the wrap area so that it’s a smoother transition or maybe use a flat lace? Maybe a woven wrap like a long basketweave to match the carving? Again I hate to say anything at all, but there it is. Feel free to nitpick my work to death.