finished viking axe

Hand forged from en9 steel this is a lite and manouverable viking axe , long handled, relativly lite axes such as this are a revelation to use, not brutish at all.

Dimensions

The edge is 7.5"

from poll to edge just over 9″

weighes in at 1lb 14 3/4 oz or 870 grammes

It is differentially hardened and double tempered……..this axe is razor sharp in a robust way , Ie it has a convex edge grind down to a sharp hair popping edge

6130311358_3022e03da7_b.jpg

6130311354_12c07ed016_b.jpg

tee hee,

In one weekend when I was demonstrating blacksmithing I had a kid come up to me and ask if I was a giant .....(the beard I guess) on the same weekend another kid came up and said are you a dwarf? I replies are you asking that because I am forging hot metal....He said no .....but because I had short legs.....

confusing....

I am 5 foot 10 , 230 lb. I have a good sense of humour and a big axe.

tee hee,

In one weekend when I was demonstrating blacksmithing I had a kid come up to me and ask if I was a giant .....(the beard I guess) on the same weekend another kid came up and said are you a dwarf? I replies are you asking that because I am forging hot metal....He said no .....but because I had short legs.....

confusing....

I am 5 foot 10 , 230 lb. I have a good sense of humour and a big axe.

:lol:

nice axe either way! have you chopped anything yet?

I love it. That looks like a swinger.

Other than than the 'dissuading glare' the thing I find alarming is what appears to be blood on the lower hem of the apron. What exactly were you doing before this photo was taken? And was this axe involved? :-)

Another great piece

these axes look wonderful when hafted... a real and powerful visual from a time long ago

Greg

ps. glad you didn't smile for the camera, that may have been more unsettling to the viewer

- look at this fellow, with a contented grin n large axe..... it can't be good for us... just RUN !!!! :o

pss... sorry for the teasin... photo was totally awesome !

That's a great piece Owen - very "artifacty". I like its ready-to-go look and your touch mark as well. Light broad axes on long handles do take on a life of their own, don't they?

I look forward to meeting you in Ashokan.