Sign in to follow this  
smitty

Hamon question

I made some nugui,out of iron oxide suspended in mineral oil. Using it on a hamon on a tanto. W2 steel, Using a cotton ball to apply. The steel doesnt seem to be getting any darker....Any tips tricks....input etc

IMG_6541sm.jpg

Hey Smitty

You have to rub the blade an awful lot and it's not going to change the look of W2( or W1, 1095 or any other steel that I've used) a whole lot but it does seem to darken the darker portions of the hamon. The first few times I tried this I thought I was imagining the change but it does happen. I will put some of my mixture in a coffee filter, let it soak through and then rub it on the blade fairly hard for a while then wipe off with a clean rag.

Matt

Hey Smitty

You have to rub the blade an awful lot and it's not going to change the look of W2( or W1, 1095 or any other steel that I've used) a whole lot but it does seem to darken the darker portions of the hamon. The first few times I tried this I thought I was imagining the change but it does happen. I will put some of my mixture in a coffee filter, let it soak through and then rub it on the blade fairly hard for a while then wipe off with a clean rag.

Matt

I filtered mine dry,used a coffee filter though,might need to up the pressure some !