anvil with ridges?

they are like file teeth but way smaller.

A picture would help, especially if you think these ridges were put there intentionally. Personally, I've never heard of such a thing, but then, I don't know a whole lot about Anvils either, other than the London Pattern.

Edit: I will add that some of the cheap anvils I've seen have milling marks present on the surface when new. One of my fellow B.A.M. members bought 8 Russian ASO's for Boy Scout merit Badge work (each is set up on a tripod with it's own hammer and set of tongs). I think all of them had rather deep milling marks on the surface that looked kind of similar to file teeth, because the man that bought them, ground all of them down to a smooth finish.

Edited by Sean McGrath

They may be normal for cheaper anvils but they are not desireable. I had the same problem with a anvil that I bought. I took the face smoothe with an angle grinder with a sanding disc but I would recommend that you use a hand belt sander with course belts to finish the face. I could had dished the face with the angle grinder but, fortunantly, I didn't.

Doug

i havnt bought it yet. just found a 55 pound anvil at harbor freight. i dont expect perfection from harbor freight but even the 6 dollar rotary tool i got there hasnt let me down yet so figured it would be worth asking about the anvil.

The Ridges are from the Fly cutter they use to surface the anvil and feeding it too fast or using chipped teeth. It's not intentional, its just crappy. You would be better off getting a chunk of shafting or a random block of steel from a scrap yard...The cast iron they make that anvil from is very soft. Kind of like making an anvil out of copper...Still you can use them. People work with less....

Patrick

I don't know where my friend bought all those Russian anvils, it may have been Harbor Freight. They are very soft though, no doubt about that. The Merit Badge thing for the Scouts involves simple stuff like coat hooks, all made out of mild steel stock, and even that is enough to deform the surface of the anvil. Missed hammer blows leave deep dents in them as well. I can't imagine them holding up at all to forging high carbon blade steels. He has to resurface them once or twice a year just from the mild steel projects.

He bought them because he knew they were going to get torn up; he's a good man, with good intentions, but he wasn't about to turn loose a bunch of uninitiated Cub and Boy Scouts on his good anvils...