Ricasso area advice

I started this knife with a very different end result in mind, but a friend of mine gifted me with some antler and I decided to try something totally different for me. I decided to make my first full tang knife, but I wanted a really long and slender neck between the handle and the blade. I succeeded with that, actually too well I think. If I could redo this I would shorten that area by about half and have the antler slabs extend to the ricasso. But I still think this could look better and I've been thinking about changing the ricasso area to be less of step and more of a sweep. I also want to be done this knife!! Any advice?

DSCN1695.jpg

DSCN1693.jpg

You started out with a real nice idea there but I agree that the point of the handle scale should be up just over the back side of the ricasso with the tang about an inch or so shorter. Besides starting over with a new piece of antler I don't quite know what you could do with that knife. If you grind the tang shorter at this point you will loose too much of the swell at the end. You could cut the tang into a stick and make a frame tang from it but that would require pins in the tand and the frame and that would end up looking strange. Though with the frame at where the handle swells you could bring a line of thin pins down the center of the handle into the tang two lines of pins spreading off to the side to follow the curve of the scales.

You may just want to chalk this on up to experience, it's really not all that bad, and try again with another knife.

Doug

George,

The individual components of this knife look great, but I agree with you that the total package looks a bit out of proportion. You could "salvage" it fairlly easily by turning it into a hidden tang, or you could just leave it as is. I vote for the latter. On everything I do, at some point I have to put my hands down and say, "Done!, I'll do better next time."

I also find it very helpful to draw the knife, down to the last detail, on a piece of paper before I ever pick up a piece of steel.

Good luck!

Dan

I think it just looks like a knife that was put together without its guard. Also, luckily for you, you made the tang follow the back of the blade, which will allow you to put on the kind of guard that most full tang knives have, with a slot cut out, then you pin it in place. Now that I think about it, you may also be able to pin on some bolsters instead to fill in the dead space, but that sharp corner under the choil is begging for a guard, in my opinion.

-Ethan

Definitely grind a curve, or the other option is I like how you have a "stepping" thing going on- the ricasso steps down to the other part of the ricasso, which then steps down to the choil, which finally steps down to the edge. I think if you could get those steps to be more or less the same length, it could look really cool. Kind of waterfall-ish. It'll show that it was a conscious decision rather than a mistake.