jake cleland

vikingish knife

heres one i've been playing with the last two days:

viking knife 1.jpg

1095, ebony and antler handle, steel fittings. i think i'm going to carve the ebony with the osenberg ring knot, and the antler will get some kind of serpent knot (the runes on the other side say jormungandr, the world serpent - this side is just my name).

i'm not quite sure about the lines of this one - is the blade a bit long for the handle?

Jake I love the Ebony and antler! Everthing really seems to fit together, the handle with the fittings and the carving all seems to balance very nicely!

I can see what you mean about the blade, but i dont think it's to long, I think it looks to skinny with that handle (this could all be cause of the photo, hard to say without seeing it in person)

I would trim it down some more, but thats just me and I think your eye for detail is way more trained then mine, but maybe something like this...

post-redo.jpg

well, I really like it as it is so far, although i get a little bit of a persian vibe from it, Personally I would keep it just as it is.

Oh yes, Waaay out of proportion! I would get rid of it ASAP. Send it to me and I will insure that it is "properly" disposed of. :D Not much of a Norse-type knife expert but I am part Norwegian and my "viking" blood thinks it is very well situated.

I don't think it's the length so much as it is the taper. It looks too triangular for the handle, although I do regard you as the master of slender, ultra-pointy blades.

-Ethan

I tend to agree with Michael's opinion. The handle does seem a bit too wide. Mostly the rear ebony section though.I maintain the same caveat,your eye is vastly better than mine.

Remember: You get what you pay for.......advice is free

Daniel