Richard Furrer

October wootz class

I hope everyone realizes what a treat they're getting with those guests! :o

Howard and Harley departed some blade wisdom I am sure...I was a bit busy trying to get out some of my own. Fagan is a treasure trove of life experiences..always a pleasure to spend a day with him.

Three of them are a bit green on the whole blade-smithing biz....like six months to three weeks fresh.

Imagine..three weeks into the act of smithing and making wootz.....hard for me to conceptualize, but there it is.

They all did very well..no injuries and eight ingots.

The class of four actually moved faster than I assumed and each will have a quenched blade by evening Friday.

The Hague, Holland as well as Virginia, Texas and New Jersey have new crucible steel makers now.

Ric

Wow, I know three of the attendees -- what's the chance? :)

Hey Howard, Sandy and Anton!

Any wootz cake/billet for sale? :D

Edited by Robert George

Wow, I know three of the attendees -- what's the chance? :)

Hey Howard, Sandy and Anton!

Any wootz cake/billet for sale? :D

Robert..that is not all that strange...I know all of them.... ;)

Kevin Menard is from Dallas, TX...he has stayed on to make shear steel this weekend...we have a batch cooling now.

I'll have some wootz ingot paper weights in late Fall for sale. Sold as paper weights for those who have an interest...no forging instruction included nor implied.

Ric

I'll have some wootz ingot paper weights in late Fall for sale. Sold as paper weights for those who have an interest...no forging instruction included nor implied.

Understood Ric -- I read your previous posts about your frustrations - totally understand...

Although, I think I'd have a better chance at success with a long, thin paperweight :)

Edited by Robert George

Ric, Tell Anton Hi for me. He was a great student in Arkansas. He is turning out to quiet a smith with so many talented makers giving him input can't wait to see his products. Ric one day I will have to visit you also.

Thanks for the post Ric.

Timothy

Ric, Tell Anton Hi for me. He was a great student in Arkansas. He is turning out to quiet a smith with so many talented makers giving him input can't wait to see his products. Ric one day I will have to visit you also.

Thanks for the post Ric.

Timothy

Anton left on Friday afternoon to catch his flight.

He spoke of you several times Tim.....you may see a small bit of wootz from his ingot..at least he was trying to forge you a bit off the end.

Ric

Edited by Richard Furrer