Take down Bolo fighter WIP

I really dont have any new information for you on this post, however I do have pictures, (:D:D:D).

I sanded the handle to 2000 grit to make everything smooth and to get out some drips in the paint. Here it is cut and ready for buffing:

IMG_0364.jpg

Here is the knife all assembled. This is a preview. I am still not quite happy with the blade; I think it will take at least one more cycle of bluing to get it where I want it, as I got some streaking on the last blueing. You can see it on the blade, but it gets better each time, and I want it to be perfect.

IMG_0376.jpg

also..I wanted to point out how nice the gaurd fit is... I am very proud of that.

enjoy the picture! Sheath coming soon.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Damn Chris!

What an impressive WIP/Tutorial and final product!!

The fit/finish is superb, and I'm very impressed with your machining skills.

The inset sholder on the bolster is really awesome.

I'm pinning this one. If I could, I'd pin it twice.

Great work man!

Dave

Let me second Dave on this... :blink:

I hadn't been paying attention to this thread since about day five, and then today I saw it had been pinned and figured I'd take a look. All I can say is HOLY COW! :ph34r: ! Chris, this is incredible. Awesome. Amazing. Wow... :huh: This is one of the best tutorials/WIP threads I've seen in a very long time, and I don't even like synthetic handles. :lol: My actual words wre not "holy cow," by the way, but the words I did use are not suitable for a family forum. ;)

I bow in your general direction, sir! Well done. B)

glad y'all pinned it.

Chris - ok, give any info about how you are bluing the blade. I use bluing on fittings all the time (in face, I am making a guard a bit like yours from blued and etched wrought this week - I saw yours after mine was made or I may have done the same curl thing you did on the ends. Except I want to look Chinese). Back to the question - are you bluing and then sanding off the high spots or is there something else going on that I am missing? I know it is probably a dumb question, but I don't know what you are doing other than wiping bluing solution or paste onto the blade.

Second - the handle looks GREAT. That was a killer idea.

thanks for sharing this with us.

rock on!

Wow! Chris, you really have done a magnificent job on this piece and have documented it beautifully.

I love watching masterpieces come together like this and would like to thank you for going into as much detail as you did. I know I certainly learnt a few things!

Keep up the awesome work! :D

Let me second Dave on this... :blink:

I hadn't been paying attention to this thread since about day five, and then today I saw it had been pinned and figured I'd take a look. All I can say is HOLY COW! :ph34r: ! Chris, this is incredible. Awesome. Amazing. Wow... :huh: This is one of the best tutorials/WIP threads I've seen in a very long time, and I don't even like synthetic handles. :lol: My actual words wre not "holy cow," by the way, but the words I did use are not suitable for a family forum. ;)

I bow in your general direction, sir! Well done. B)

thank you sir for your knid works, after being such a fan of your work that is high praise indeed!

glad y'all pinned it.

Chris - ok, give any info about how you are bluing the blade. I use bluing on fittings all the time (in face, I am making a guard a bit like yours from blued and etched wrought this week - I saw yours after mine was made or I may have done the same curl thing you did on the ends. Except I want to look Chinese). Back to the question - are you bluing and then sanding off the high spots or is there something else going on that I am missing? I know it is probably a dumb question, but I don't know what you are doing other than wiping bluing solution or paste onto the blade.

Second - the handle looks GREAT. That was a killer idea.

thanks for sharing this with us.

rock on!

Sorry for the confusion on the bluing. I am using Perma Blue which is a cold bluing for repairing or refinishing guns. I have been wiping it on the blade with a sponge brush and then using a mixture of 2000 grit paper and 1500 grit free abrasives (and WD40) to accentuate the pattern. it is totally not a dumb question. as for the high sports. the paper does that, however the free abrasives to a little bit of work on the low spots as well, but most importantly it leaves a smoother finish that the paper which tends to leave a very shiny surface with sanding mark in it.

Epic knife with an epic WIP record! Thaknkyou for sharing.

For etching stencils, www.erniesknives.com

thank you sir! i am very very glad you like it! and thanks so much for the stencil information.

Okay... now for some info

First off, the only thing i have missing in the specs is the balance point. which is very important. i will post that as soon as i can get the knife in my hands again.

OAL:17"

Blade: 10.25" blade 1.5" wide and 0.16" thick 150 layers of 1084 W2 and 15n20

Handle: Custom uni-directional carbon fiber

Fittings: Anodized Titanium, and damascus steel

I finished assembling and stitching the sheath.

Knives355.jpg

I also refinished the blade. i got it smoother and am much happier with it. I also coated the blade with museum wax to prevent corrosion.

Knives358.jpg

and i think the sheath and knife go together pretty well.

Knives359.jpg

Knives360.jpg

And now... my first YouTube video is fitting to be used for the first take down, first Ti fittings, first carbon fiber handle knife, first real sheath i have ever made.

thanks so much for looking

~Chris

Thanks for the info.

beautiful work.

I think you will find that the blade feels lighter and faster than it "should" given its size. The guard with the arm bent backwards does that. It moves the balance point back from where you expect it, so the blade can rotate easily. At least, I was pleasantly surprised by this recently.

outstanding.

kc

I noticed in the last two images the handle material seems to show more of a tan color in one of the shots vice the other. Does it "shift" as you look at it from slightly different angles?

Beautiful work.

-Shane

the carbon fiber changes from a white to gray-black to green to light tan depending on how you look at it. it is a totally mesmerizing shift of colors as you rotate it in the light. did you check out the video? you can really see what it does in the light.

thanks so much,

and i am really glad yall like it. the balance point on the blade is about 0.5" in front of the guard. I think the pronounced S guard do accentuate that placement. i will also get final weight before i ship it off. it is deceivingly light. very easy to carry and use.

thanks all!

~Chris

• 2 weeks later...

And, i got the pics from SharpBy Coop... and let me tell you...

Coop has delivered!

Moss_111229B-web.jpg

Moss_111229C-web.jpg

Moss_111229-web.jpg

thanks guys!

~Chris

And, i got the pics from SharpBy Coop... and let me tell you...

Coop has delivered!

Moss_111229B-web.jpg

Moss_111229C-web.jpg

Moss_111229-web.jpg

thanks guys!

~Chris

That is one fantastic piece of work. Thanks so much for sharing all your hard work and expertise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...