trying to make a cheap small anvil

i was thinking about getting some A2 flat stock on onlinemtals.com but i dont know if it would warp being so thin. if i dont want the flat stock i would probably go with square but thats more expensive than a section of railroad i found. im just on a serious budget and im just starting out. heck if any of you wanted to sell me one cheap thats cool.

Edited by matt ross

You have to have some means of scrounging one. I found my anvil...(piece of rr track). Walk along the rr tracks or go to a dump/scrap yard. I hear vikings used boulders from time to time. (not really suggesting that, but i guess it depends on how desperate "desperate" is.). Another option.... find an old sledge hammer head and set into concrete in a bucket...if concrete is to expensive use sand... should hold it well enough.

Edited by Ian Seibert

Go to the scrap yard. I sugest a chunk of driveshaft. The large chisel bits from excavator based jack hammers are great. When they wear out they are ganerally junk to the machine operator. Call a heavy equiptment company.

I have some bits from big bucket scoops. They pretty much fall off the buckets like teeth and nobody pays much attention. If you see any big cranes sitting around, look around for its missing teeth. Rail is a good start too.

I'd look for steel scrap yards though. Helmes is right, and the odds of finding even more interesting stuff there is high.

Wish my truck hadn't been stolen. Scrapping is a lot of fun.

You have to have some means of scrounging one. I found my anvil...(piece of rr track). Walk along the rr tracks or go to a dump/scrap yard.

You do know that it's a Federal Offence to remove anything from a RR right of way, right? And yes, they do make arrests, often just for picking up spikes.

Edited by nakedanvil

Tim Livelys' Anvil Tim used a chunk of mild steel but, you can use the biggest sledgehammer head available, instead, and have a hardened face. It is VERY important to use as much re-enforcement in the concrete as possible and to cure the cement properly. This is probably the cheapest route.

Brian Brazeal Anvil on IForgeIron Forum This thread was quite interesting but, not as cheap.

Post Anvil Here is another way to go, given access to a good scrapyard and a few more tools (or friends with tools!) Sea Robin Forge Anvil More on these anvils including some ways to hold hardy tools.

Scythe Connection Sam already posted the link to Old World Anvils but, here are some more Stidys (stump mounted specialty anvils) to give a better idea how versatile these things are. Where to get a Viking anvil Check out Peter Johnssons' setup for some more ideas.

~Bruce~

P.S. Notice that most of these posts came from this very forum? Google is your friend, especially when used to search the www.dfoggknives.com domain.