Bowie Fighter

b26.jpg

Here's a Bowie Knife I just finished. This one leans more toward the fighter style in the Bowie genre. This knife reflects a new style for me. My aim here is to make period pieces from the American Bowie Era with an antique finish. The blade is hand forged from 1095 high carbon steel. I hand cut the fuller on each side. It is 14 1/2 inches overall and has a 9 5/8 inch blade. The handle is Texas Ebony with seamless coin silver (90% silver, 10% copper) ferrules and blade collar. The guard and buttcap are 1018 mild steel. The guard is hand forged with double forward facing scrolls. I think this new style reflects more of a true 19th century spirit. I made this knife completely unplugged, using nothing but hand tools so the look comes from authentic traditional techniques.

Edited by Tim Lively

Tim - glad to see you posting things! The bowie is great. I really like the guard, and the way the ferrule looks. I thought you lived somewhere in Texas (just because I am "Austin centric." I am gonna move back when I retire. There is a blizzard outside and its OCTOBER!).

thanks for sharing with us!

kevin

damn that's nice. I love the reduced, calm tones, simple stuff with the right lines like that. And that scrolled guard....

The ferrules are seamless and I made them this time by using old US silver dollars. I cold hammered the edges until they flare out and form a band. Then I cut the centers out. I usually use my own coin silver alloy that I cast into a ingot but this time I used coins. So I used 2 silver dollars and one silver half dollar to make the ferrules and blade collar. The technique of flaring out the edges of silver coins was taught to me when I was in high school back in the 70s from a Vietnam Veteran. I guess a lot of Vets know this technique as it was used to make rings and trench art by soldiers as far back as there has been coins.

I can confirm the coin trick. We used to use a spoon and hold the coin between the thumb and forefinger. If you did it right you could get the writing on the coin to wrap around inside of the rim. It took forever but it was usually for our sweetie.

Good to see you active.

Art

Tim, Nice to see you making knives again! I see your living in Eugene now right in knifemaker central. There's the OKCA Mini Show coming up on December 10, 2011. I think the doors open at 9am and its a free show to come visit. It would be a good way to meet a lot of the local makers. It won't be long till your fingers and toes start to grow webs. :D

Edited by Raymond Richard