MAtthew Boston

found a cool machine

i found this and thought it was kinda cool. so does anyone have any layouts to build one. and do you think it would work for most basic knife smithing.

I would probably do more hollow grinds if I had something like that...

I can't help but feel that you'd want one heck of a guard over the wheels in case they decided to grab the piece and fling it at you.

DANGER: The work goes in the bottom.

I hope those wheels are spring loaded just in case. Either way I think there'd be some catastrophic wheel failure if something went in the top.

Some of the big pocket knife companies use something similar I've seen in videos.

Looks handy.

Charlie is a very creative fellow. Like so many I've met in this craft, he didn't know what he couldn't do, and succeeded.

The idea has been useful for quite a while. Here's a link that has a number of interesting things in it.

DANGER: The work goes in the bottom.

I hope those wheels are spring loaded just in case. Either way I think there'd be some catastrophic wheel failure if something went in the top.

If you build yourself the machine, and then put the work in the top, well, that isn't saying much for your powers of observation. If the machine were for sale to someone else, then it needs a guard. You should be smart enough to not put the work in the top, and make sure no one who does not know that gets anywhere near the machine.

All the power tools in my shop will eat you if you put your hand in the wrong place. Guards make machines less useful.

Having worked in walk-in care clinics for about 20 years some of the dumb stuff people have done with power machinery, and other stuff, is enough to make you want to weep-or fall on the floor laughing. I would be more concerned with the wheels grabbing the work and throwing it but a guard to protect the clueless might help. Also no one should work with a piece of power equiptment that they have not been instructed in it's proper use. I think it was Jim Hrisoulas who said in one of his videos that hand tool injure-power tools maim.

Doug

If you build yourself the machine, and then put the work in the top, well, that isn't saying much for your powers of observation. If the machine were for sale to someone else, then it needs a guard. You should be smart enough to not put the work in the top, and make sure no one who does not know that gets anywhere near the machine.

All the power tools in my shop will eat you if you put your hand in the wrong place. Guards make machines less useful.

Running the wheels at low speed solves the safety problems. However, while something can be made foolproof, nothing can be damfool proof. I've been thinking of building a number of grinders lately and currently am making a power feed for a surface grinder.

Brian

It looks like the wheels are turning downward, So if it throws the work, it's going down and hit the bench. This could bounce back up and get you, But I don't think it's to dangerous looking. Looks like a handy tool for making razors. I just can't see how he adjusts the space between the wheels. I may have to build one.

Hello

I can see about a dozen ways you can get FUBAR'd using one of these machines...and as far as this:

<I think it was Jim Hrisoulas who said in one of his videos that hand tool injure-power tools maim.>

Yeppers...I said that, MANY times, in my books and my videos....call me a great big chicken arsed coward,,but I was born with a finite number of holes in my body and the proper number of limbs and didgets and I plan on dying that way...Ok it isd a "slick" machine...but when you compare a slick machine agaist your mortal flesh, body and limb..My mortal body and limb wins...at least that is how I see it....

OK I have had more than my fair share of "accidents" and all...but this one is BEGGING for something nasty to happen if you ask me....

I wouldn't own one..that's for sure....

JPH

Edited by JPH

I remember that Sam Cox, who was coming - a lot of time ago - for the 1st. & 2d."Brussels Knife Shows", organized by my good friend René Bol (decesead - the cofounder of the BKS and her 1st. Chairman)tells me that he used a kind of system as here.

That ware 2 grindstones, cone shaped, from white Corindon!? (he bought these in Germany - I had seen these) placed on an electric powered machine with 2 convergend axes, forming the good grinding angle to shape the 2 sides of the knife.

I don't know how the machine looked, but I think it was anything that gave the same results than here!?

Was it safe, or not???

But Sam came the two times in Brussels :D

Mr Delfosse:

The machine you are talking about is commonly called a "cup grinder"..these grind both sides of the blade at the same time and are pretty interesting to watch opperate. Usually they are cooled with either a stream or spray collant to keep the blades from overheating and these machine are slick.... AND EXPENSIVE!! but if you are doing 100's of blades a day these are the ones to have...

JPH

Thank you for your explanation, Sir! :D