Mr. Owen Bush

I was looking through On Demand and came across a show on the National Geographic Channel called "Medieval Fight Book" which was all about the manual written by fightmaster, Hans Talhoffer. In it were a few minutes devoted to the qualities of a medieval sword and the featured smith was our own Owen Bush.

Congratulations on your television appearance, and well done!

Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who did not.

I was surprised, and I think that they were too, at how effective striking an armoured man on the helmet with an inverted sword was. It demonstrated the in real combat that an armoured opponent could be stunned with blow from the handle of a sword held as a club, knocked to the ground and then the blade shoved under the helmet or through gaps in the armour. I demonstrated that a sword could be used against a fighter in armour with the correct techniques.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Man it's getting to where you can't turn on the TV without seeing Owen in his shop! ( that is a good thing! ) Way to go Owen.

Does anyone know if there are reprints of the book available.

Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. (a sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.) Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Anyone know when it'll be on again? I tried searching the Nat Geo TV website, and while it gave a text description it resolutely refused to give a show title or episode title, preferring instead to direct me to any of 999 totally unrelated video clips. <_<

@ Doug: You've obviously never watched a couple of trained longsword guys fight. ;) Everything is an offensive weapon: The pommel, the ends of the guard, your knees, elbows,... :lol:

Seriously, if you get in a grapple and punch the other guy with the end of your simple crossguard right in the eye or the throat because you don't have room to bring the blade into play, how much fight do you suppose he may have left afterwards? :blink: Brutal stuff, but very effective.

Alan, I was refering more to those on other boards that shall go unnamed who agrue ad nasium about whether or not one could use a sword against an armoured opponent. I checked the listing on my service for the next 48hrs, as long as they list ahead, and I didn't see when those programs repeated on the National Goe. channel. I hope you get to see it. There was quite a bit more than Owen at his forge and that fight seen. It was really quite interesting.

Doug

Thanks, Doug, my wife found it: Tuesday Nov. 22 at 4:00 PM (I think, may have been AM). Set to record, yay! :)

Oh, and that's why I'm not on any of those other boards. There are no armchair experts here! B) I think that's because of both our real name policy and the fact that there are enough people here who truly know what they're talking about to shut down the self-appointed who do not. ;)

Yes, I notice that we have seen much from the guy who is an expert on making knives because he sharpens them lately. Enjoy the show. I wish that I had thought to record it.

Doug

@ Doug: You've obviously never watched a couple of trained longsword guys fight. ;) Everything is an offensive weapon: The pommel, the ends of the guard, your knees, elbows...

If you have Netflix, watch "Reclaiming the Blade". It shows you exactly what Alan is talking about, not only by live demonstration, but also by way of period instructional engravings and training manuals. European, and Japanese styles. I haven't seen the Nat Geo show yet, but it sounds pretty similar. Instead of Owen though, the resident Swordsmith for the documentary is Paul Champagne.

They also talk to Bob Anderson quite a bit throughout the show. 89 years old, Fenced in the Olympics for Britain in the '50's, and was a world class competitor with the Sabre around the same time. He's been doing sword choreography for movies ever since, in just about every movie you can think of that involves swords. And he's also the man in the Darth Vader outfit, but only during the Light Sabre duels (the original Star Wars films).

Since he did the sword choreography for the LOTR films (as well as the upcoming Hobbit film), they also talk to Viggo Mortenson, Karl Urban, and Peter Jackson; plus show the workshops that made the bladed weapons for the LOTR films.

Probably not as good as the Nat Geo documentary, but it's definitely worth watching.

To realize that you do not understand is a virtue; Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect.

-Lao Tzu

It's worth watching; I have a copy. I don't know if it is still for sale anywhere but it is still worthwhile to get a more ballanced view of the sword and how it was used. The show on the fighting manuel is a lot more general and covers a lot more aspects of medieval warfare.

Doug