I am not sure if you like to fabricate tools or not but

you can buy a small jewelry mill and convert it to power like I did with this one

My link

I had to do some minor modifications but it works really well for small billets and is great for final thicknessing.

I added a chain drive,gear reducer and a 3 phase motor with speed control.

After I had run it for a while I realized I could have gotten by with just the gear reducer or the speed control alone

Good luck

Steve

DSC02298.JPG

DSC02297_2.JPG

Edited by bronzetools

John Marcus, a forum member, builds and sells them.

I own one and it's worked very well for me. Here's a photo of it when I first got it.

rolling mill.jpg

Here's a link to a long-running thread in which he shows how he builds them. I would send him a PM for price info.

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=13865&st=0&p=127563&fromsearch=1entry127563

Cheers!

--Dave

Steve -- Very cool mod to the jewelery mill! Does it work well?

I own one and it's worked very well for me. Here's a photo of it when I first got it.

rolling mill.jpg

Here's a link to a long-running thread in which he shows how he builds them. I would send him a PM for price info.

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=13865&st=0&p=127563&fromsearch=1entry127563

Cheers!

--Dave

Steve -- Very cool mod to the jewelery mill! Does it work well?

I saw that thread and sent John a PM. Haven't heard back from him yet. Are both rollers powered on his mill and can you reverse it? Thanks

<snip>

--Dave

He hasn't responded on that thread for a while; I had requested to be on the mailing list, and even exchanged some emails with him about power requirements, but haven't heard from him since August, 2010. I hope everything is all right with him, does anyone know?

--doug

He hasn't responded on that thread for a while; I had requested to be on the mailing list, and even exchanged some emails with him about power requirements, but haven't heard from him since August, 2010. I hope everything is all right with him, does anyone know?

--doug

I have not seen an emails from him in about a year or more.

Ric

i wouldn't want one that reverses it would jam up the works something awful when it pulls your tongs in to the rollers and you only really need one roller powered

some day im going to make my self a roller i even scored a gear reducer from surplus center that's the right gearing but stronger than i would ever need for it yay over kill

i wouldn't want one that reverses it would jam up the works something awful when it pulls your tongs in to the rollers and you only really need one roller powered

some day im going to make my self a roller i even scored a gear reducer from surplus center that's the right gearing but stronger than i would ever need for it yay over kill

My buddy in Belgium has an small industrial rolling mill that has both rollers powered and is reversible and it works like a charm. With that said, the primary reason i would want a reversible mill is so that I could have the option of running a twisting fixture off the end of the shaft and be able to do both left and right hand twists. <_<

I am not sure if you like to fabricate tools or not but

you can buy a small jewelry mill and convert it to power like I did with this one

My link

I had to do some minor modifications but it works really well for small billets and is great for final thicknessing.

I added a chain drive,gear reducer and a 3 phase motor with speed control.

After I had run it for a while I realized I could have gotten by with just the gear reducer or the speed control alone

Good luck

Steve

Steve,

I have been wondering about this roller...one concern is what if some thick or cold metal arrives at the rolls....what will give. Do you have any video of that machine in action? I do not have unrealistic performance expectations..a flattening roll would be very useful at about 1/4" . Do you know what the surface speed of the rolls is?

Jan