wootz bowie made from 40kg ingots

qiangluo

At last the bars of steel and pieces of wood became a knife. It is made of same steel from that 40kg ingot last time, with the same heat treatment. Only difference was the forge and roll process. This time it is more of hand forged rather than simplely hot rolled and grinded like i did before. this time the blade shows of a more traditional wootz looking.

The blade overall length is 38cm, blade length is 26cm, hardness is arround Hrc 55. Handle made of wood nickname called "chicken wing". The base structure is salt bathed low bainite + martensite with the banded Fe3C.

Here are the pictures, and welcome any critics.

large_SHow_29a9000160f0121c.jpg

large_CoCF_38f0000160961261.jpg

large_FI8R_38b3000160fc1261.jpg

large_86yy_38a9000161041261.jpg

large_n3yM_2d1600013608121b.jpg

Edited by qiangluo

It might just be my computer, but the images are broken :huh:

Would love to see it, though.

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

That some nice work. The pattern in the wootz came out good and the file work on the guard and the furle under it really set it off.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

that looks good. you can see a bit of swirling pattern from the hand forging. It doesn't seem that all of the carbides are still in perfectly straight lines like they were when it was rolled into a sheet. It looks nice. Good work on the knife, too.

Now - I don't know anything about wootz - so I can't really say how well that compares to what historical woots looked like. I just know it has an appealing surface pattern that is simillar to historic stuff. But, those who know more will be able to see the simillarities and differences that I cannot.

thanks for sharing your process with us in the previous post as well as this knife.

Kevin

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

At last the bars of steel and pieces of wood became a knife. It is made of same steel from that 40kg ingot last time, with the same heat treatment. Only difference was the forge and roll process. This time it is more of hand forged rather than simplely hot rolled and grinded like i did before. this time the blade shows of a more traditional wootz looking.

The blade overall length is 38cm, blade length is 26cm, hardness is arround Hrc 55. Handle made of wood nickname called "chicken wing". The base structure is salt bathed low bainite + martensite with the banded Fe3C.

Here are the pictures, and welcome any critics.

Nice job on the blade and the metal...the disadvantage of a 40 kg ingot is, the lack of surprises you are likely to encounter...it could become a HoHum experience. Your heat treatment is right on.

Jan

So you did give the "stuff" some more handforging, say with how many forging cycles?

Just rolling out the steel can not produce any interesting banding

the Fe3C needs much time and the right heat to start moving

the knife looks good

next time place it on a sheet of cloth, black or dark blue

will make it easier to see more of the bladestructure

best regards

from Germany

Jokke

So you did give the "stuff" some more handforging, say with how many forging cycles?

Just rolling out the steel can not produce any interesting banding

the Fe3C needs much time and the right heat to start moving

the knife looks good

next time place it on a sheet of cloth, black or dark blue

will make it easier to see more of the bladestructure

best regards

from Germany

i don't remember excaltly how many forge cycles, but not too many. 6~7 i think. before the hand forge its already a 15x30x200mm bar. from there the hand forge started. what i mean hand forged is not fully hand forged. some time power hammer is still needed to make it thinner and flatter.

Edited by qiangluo

• 2 weeks later...