Steel cable source

SonnyDuong

http://www.webriggingsupply.com/pages/catalog/wirerope_cable/wirerope-genpurprope.html

i didnt know where to put this but im pretty sure this is what i would want for cable damacus right?

extra improved plow steel.

and if it is the right kind of steel which types on that page would be the best to weld with?

hey man im not totally hip on all the ins and outs of WELDING steel cable together into a solid billet, but the improved plow steel is what i would go with, AND if you are going to pay money for it, try and get it WITHOUT the non metalic core that comes in alot of crane and choker cables.....this prevents you making many steps in order to weld it up......just about word for word what i tell the guys at my local rigging supply company of choice.

Good Luck.

Independent Wire Rope Core. As opposed to fiber.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#0000FF"][size="5"][b]Perfection[/b][/size]

[i][size="3"]is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.[/size][/i][/color][/font]

but the improved plow steel is what i would go with
Are you saying he should not use the "extra improved plow steel"? Why?

[i][size="3"]is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.[/size][/i][/color][/font]

There's another one that has a wire core too, you just wanna make sure you don't get fiber core like Ryan said.

Oh, me? I'm just a recovering blacksmith.

Oh, me? I'm just a recovering blacksmith.

Recovering from what? :lol:

Sonny, he's also known to some as Grant Sarver, owner/operator of Off-Center Forge, maker of really good tongs, and provider of spiffy induction forges that seem to work by magic. Oh, and he knows stuff. Lots of stuff. ;)

The more "extras" you get in front of the word "plow" in wire rope indicates higher carbon content. If I recall, "improved" is 1060, extra improved is more like 1075, and so on. I may be wrong, it's been a while since I looked it up.

In addition to avoiding synthetic-core wire rope I don't like counter-rotational cable. It has a core laid in the opposite direction to the outside so it won't twist under load, but I have trouble getting all the spaces closed. Plain lay wire rope is easier because you can twist it at a welding heat to close it up solid.

The more "extras" you get in front of the word "plow" in wire rope indicates higher carbon content... I may be wrong, it's been a while since I looked it up.

That sounds about right. I bought a bunch of new XX-Improved a while back, and was told to treat it like 1084.

To realize that you do not understand is a virtue; Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect.

-Lao Tzu

Hi Sonny

If you are interested in some wire core crane cable(EIPS)

I have a bunch of 7/8" cable cut into 12" lengths that the grease has been burned out of.

I could send you some for $3.00) a piece in a USPS medium flat rate box ($11.00)

I have welded over 200 billets of this cable and it works very well.

Also I have pre-welded billets starting at $20 a piece,and San Mai (1095 core /cable outside)starting at $35

the billets all start as 12" of cable

The problem I found with buying from web rigging is the shipping is as much or more than the cable.

PM me if you would like me to send some.

Thanks

Steve

The information I got from my distributor was that improved is 1070, extra improved is 1080/1084, extra extra improved is 1090. The smaller the diameter the cable the finer the pattern you will end up with. Definitely avoid any of the non metalic cores.

Wayne Suhrbier

Hightemptools.com

Refractory Supplies