Couple things from bloomery iron

Lukasz

I have never tried o add some P to smelt from other resource than iron ore with natural P content but as far as i know its really hard to get rid of it from iron. Your idea can work and the only way to be sure is to try it :)

Edited by Lukasz

So I was just having a bit of fun with the flaming drool and the limerick. If it's unanimous, I say we should give him a real flamin' beard.

Unfortunately, some of us don't have access to these generous bogs. I have a small supply of high-P wrought, but have often wondered if a smelt could be "salted" with phosphorous effectively, or if one really is reliant on nature to provide the right chemistry before smelting.

Hey Chris,

I think most of Lee's bloom is pretty high P. he sells his bloom, and he may tell you where he got the ore.

I now have huge piles of brown ore, but the old analysis from that mine show pretty low P. I was thinking of twisting some of mine with Lee's. I'll tell you how it works out.

Mark

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)

The test blade I spoke of in my "Bad Welds" thread had some hi-P from Jeff, along with some normal wrought, and had a striking difference, even in as-forged condition at room temperature. The patterns were incredibly obvious, much more than similar carbon steels made into damascus. I love that stuff, and intend to work up a whole lot more of it over time. With a power hammer, not my arm, thank you very much.

But smelting my own someday would be a great experience. I'd love to get my hands on a couple hundred pounds of that ore, if Lee's source can be revealed someday.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

well up here in ontario ...we have an endless supply of bog's and swamps ... but theres no way i'd wade out in those in the summer... the mosquitoes would carry me away..haha I have to find less hazardous source of iron ore

i know the P iron very well.. one time i was cutting up some wrought iron with cold chisel and piece flew off very easily...it has very very large grain/crystals.. ... also smelled funny when heating up

- my test is to see its etch rate with acid... P wrought seems to be very slow to etch

- but Lee's twist test is a much better way to do a quick assessment

I thought it welded up very nicely for me... but then i usually set the weld by hand hammer 3x then go to powerhammer with flat dies.. everything done at a weld heat

Lukasz my friend; im just so happy to see the progrees you do with your forging and your work with bloomeryiron, its just amacing to see the talent that you have, in 2007 were we meth first time in Biskupin, you have never seen a succesfull smelt, one year later you found bogore close to your home, and did your first experiment at your own, and now you make this beutyfuul knife. I look forward to work a lot more together with you in the future, you´r a brilliant blacksmith and friend.

Lukasz, I was watching your video again, and you don't seem to be too particular about the size of charcoal you use in your furnace. Is that because the ore is still large (not sand or powder) and doesn't fall through the fuel too fast? Or do you find it just doesn't matter?

I ask, because chopping charcoal is a terrible chore, and a big reason why people here don't do it too often.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

Ore was about green peas size mixed also with some powder. Thats why charcoal can be bigger. Powder falling faster so, charcoal can be in smaller size and it helps to reduce ore slower. I understand why you dont like to crush charcoal, terrible work especially when you have to crush a 100 kg :D

Edited by Lukasz

• 3 weeks later...

bloomery iron knife the latest 2.jpg

Lukasz, your work is fantastic, and in fact it is the reason why I registered for this forum recently. Do you have more informations on the blade I quote above. Length? Thickness?... And, does it have a handle and a sheath by now?

Cheers,

Hannes

Edited by Hannes N.

I believe he said before that he has access to bog iron with high P levels, reassuring the idea that to get high-P iron, one needs high-P ore.

It's finding bog ore without P in it that's the challenge, same for wrought. I keep finding it odd that people blessed with P-free ore actually want to put P into it. No P-ing in my iron please ;)

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking

Hahahaha... P is really bad thing indeed Jeroen. Anyway i know findings made only out of high P content iron. Really easy to brake but good enough for simple works. My friend Jens has access to low P content bog ore in Denmark.

Edited by Lukasz

Patternwelded saxes straight from bog ore, the holy grail! :) Fantastic to see someone actually doing it.

I recommend to take a short look at the pics in the german forum about this topic:

http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=98890

the young guy ran a smelt with bog ore and fused it with a piece of steel that Achim made in his huge tatara

then he made a fine knife out of it, #16

in #14 is an analysys of the bog ore iron

and on page two: http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=98890&page=2

are pics of the ready knife in #36

he got lots of good comments

just like our friend from sweden here

thumbs up!!!

Jokke