Large Broken back

This is a three bar seax ive welded up today

top two bars are interrupted twists which were supposed to be mirrored but I got them wrong... oh well and the bottom layer is just stacked.

The blade is 19" long and im looking for ideas on the handle. Did borken backs ever have sword fittings?

_DSC0814.JPG

Edited by Jared Stier

To my eye that blade looks like it was just pulled from the Thames.... B)

No, broken backs did not have sword fittings, to the best of my knowledge.

i've always wondered if why they were called "broken back" seaxs, was it because the original artifact was actually broken, or was it made to appear broken, the pattern on the modern ones i have seen stops suddenly as it it were broken, so i know it cannot be forged to shape that way (i think) , if it was intentional, it would have to be ground away. can anyone shed some light on this?

I can't wait to see this finished, seaxs are my favorite!

The break refers to the angled back... I'm not sure who coined the term but it has stuck. I've experimented a bit with these, and the quickest way I know to make one is to simply hot-cut away the steel at an angle. As far as patternwelding, one could hot-cut away the material or simply shape and weld it in such a way that there is very little or no extra material past the 'break'... this is the method I've used.

This is pretty much the sum total we have on broken-back seax handles and fittings...

post-24180-126220867938.jpg

sig1.jpg

post-24180-126220871141.jpg

Nice shape, Jared!

Dillon, they're actually easy to forge without cutting off the tip, especially the pattern-welded ones. You just stagger the bars, weld, and forge as normal. Forging is changing the shape of steel, remember. ;)

• 9 months later...

Beautiful shape, and interesting pattern... as Alan said, nicely done sir!

Now make a sheath for it... :P

(having just finished a seax sheath that took exactly twice as long to make as the seax)