• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sam Salvati

Grant Sarver, rest in peace

21 posts in this topic

Yesterday the world of smithing truly lost one of it's greatest members, and a damn nice guy too. Grant Sarver Passed away. May he rest in peace. :(

I unfortunately learned of the passing of Grant sarver today

I'm sure all who know or know of him will miss him greatly :(

Yesterday the world of smithing truly lost one of it's greatest members, and a damn nice guy too. Grant Sarver Passed away. May he rest in peace. :(

We must have posted at the same time helluva loss to all of us :(

Grant was a great man. The amount of knowlage he had and the truely great Ideas he was willing to share with others will be missed. I can't think of what the NWBA blacksmith conferences will be like without him. I consider myself luckey to have met and talked to him over the past few years but wished I had known him longer. A sad day. and thoughts go out to his family

Grant is one of the great ones. If he were only known for the JunkYard Hammer, that would be a life time achievement, but there is so much more. He will be missed by us all.

Geoff

Grant was a generous man with his expertise and his time in helping me and answering questions and giving advice. Godspeed...

Whoa, what happened?!? He was just here on the board last week! :blink:

I have talked with (and read the posts of) Grant since the days of the old Keenjunk forum starting in about 1996, and as has been said, he was a true wealth of information. Not to mention he founded Off-Center Products to make the world's best tongs and sell small induction forges to the masses.

The world is a lesser place today, I am sorry to read this. :(

When I first read this over at IFI, I couldn't quite get it to register for just the reason you mentioned, Alan. Just Friday or Saturday he'd mentioned something in a post that I spent an hour or so this weekend trying to look up. I meant to ask him about it. Grant knew so much about so many things that we'll never really know everything he took with him.

There was an update on the NWBA site last night that mentioned it was an aortic aneurysm.

For those who didn't notice, he posted here as "nakedanvil." He gave himself a fiery beard without knowing what it meant, but I never corrected him because he knew so much he deserved it anyway, even if he wasn't into the norse/celtic stuff. I'll miss him. :(

RIP :( Grant!

He was known in Europa also.

This was most unwelcome news;a giant has fallen.

May he find eternal fire and endless joy smithing wherever he is now gone. We all pass, let's use Grant's example, and live whilst we're here. And celebrate his life.

:)

He shared so much information, and nearly all he wrote on the forums was solid gold. He had probably forgotten more than most know about moving metal ;)

Ill paint the little fire sprite he used as his avatar for so long on the other forums on my power hammer when the time comes, and like Howard says, celebrate the knowledge he shared, with a smile.

That really is a loss. I wasn't familiar with his actual name but when I saw the mentions of off center and his forum name, I can see what Alan meant. He was jus posting the other day. Sounds similar to another friend my family lost recently.

Sad news indeed. I spent some time on the phone with him this summer bugging him about his induction machines and other things. He was very patient and generous with his time. As others have said, a great loss for the forging community.

Pretty shocking news indeed. Grant only lived about 20 minutes from me and I ha the privilege to spend a lot of time at his shop. He was a very kind helpful person and passionate about the forging craft. When I got my induction forge from him 1 1/2 yrs ago he did a great job demonstrating it and then helping me get mine up and running.

And his blacksmithing equipment was hand downs some of the best available and reasonably priced.

He will be missed by many and was a true leader in his craft.

RIP Grant.

Here is how I will remember him, quietly and efficiently making his high quality tooling, one at a time.

I spent part of this morning watching a few of his videos. It was very bittersweet seeing him doing what he does best just like the last time I was over there. But having to come to grips with the fact he's not with us now.

It's always the nicest people that leave us the soonest.

Edited by B Finnigan

A great and passionate man, may he rest in peace. In the short time I knew him I knew him to be very knowledgeable and of superb character. Rest easy up there, Grant.