Dan Scott

Hunting Sword

Just nearly finished up this hunting sword I've made for myself. I traded a friend a knife for some photo work, and this one, as well as a few other knives I like, are going to get their pictures taken by a professional, which should be pretty sweet. Anyway, it's got about a 15 inch blade, and a 5 inch handle. I believe the overall length is around 21 inches. It's 3/16" and weighted like a chopper (I don't really intend to use this for hunting. I may, but I mostly just really wanted a knife this big for myself, having made a few others for customers).

Fittings are all 1080, tang is peened over the butt cap. I had a ton of fun doing the twisted S-guard, I just love doing stuff like that. The handle is lignum vitae sanded to 600 grit. Does anyone know of a good way to finish it? I've heard it doesn't need finishing, but I feel like it could use being shined up a bit and something to protect it a little bit.

Please let me know what you think!

IMGP3757.jpg

IMGP3755.jpg

-Dan

looks like you could kill a few hogs with that bad boy. great job.

Sweet!!!

Kip

That is a sweet looking blade and I really like the bent S-curve guard. The only suggestion that I would make is that it would have looked even better if you had tapered the handle from the butt plate to the guard so that the handle was the same width at the guard as the ricasso. I think it would have had a more ballanced look.

Doug

That is a sweet looking blade and I really like the bent S-curve guard. The only suggestion that I would make is that it would have looked even better if you had tapered the handle from the butt plate to the guard so that the handle was the same width at the guard as the ricasso. I think it would have had a more ballanced look.

Doug

I thought the same thing, but whatever's comfortable. I know you were going for utility instead of aesthetic perfection. Although, I agree with everyone else; It looks nice!

I appreciate the input. I actually do want to do another one of these with much wider stock, just so things look more in proportion. I went with 1.25" wide bar, then right after I HT'd it I found my bar of 1.75" stock and wondered for a long time whether I should just bench it and start again on the wider stuff.

-Dan