Sign in to follow this  
Troy Christianson

Roving Knife

I made this for a friend who calls it his "Roving Knife." He wanted something he could carry both in the wood and at the Renaissance Fair. Forged from mystery steel and handled in curly maple. OAL is 15" with a 10" blade and a 5" handles .250" at the spine. The sheath was made to his specs and is veg-tanned leather and copper. I soldered the brass diamond on the keeper because it looked boring. Thanks for looking Gentlemen.

seax013.jpg

seax009.jpg

I like it aloght. looks good and very usable. The sheath goes good with the knife. Great Job. I no your frend will be proud to carry it.

Sweet

Troy,

Nice job of getting the grain to pop in the curly maple. I really like the blade shape and it looks like it will be a great knife for roving. Sheath adds a use me feeling to the package. Wade

Thanks for the comments guys! Wade, the sheath was sort of a departure for me. We had a big copper gutter/downspout job at work and I was able to salvage a bunch of the 1/8" copper strapping supporting the old gutter we removed. I ended up with about 5' of copper strap and I wanted to use it. I love working with the stuff(a buddy and I are working on a still right now)but buying it can be expensive due to the high price for new stuff. I should have taken more photos of how the sheath works but it basicly drops in to the copper loop which is attached to a leather loop on your belt. Unless a bear is shaking you by the feet, upside down, it stays secure. I used aqua fortis to stain the maple. To me it really brings out the grain on curly maple.

Beautiful knife, Troy! Looks like it would be a fantastic chopper with that cutting angle. Has great utility and great looks to boot!