Tong Making tutorial

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Alan.  I think Sam may just be confusing me with someone else.  That is easy to do with people that you only know via a forum, not real life.   Sam, I was only trying to point out that it

Soooo that means you're grudgingly making the video right?

It's not worth the effort, as I feel the prevailing attitude of most newbs to the forum has been quite entitled, a common theme hitting many. No one has yet to convince me otherwise in the end of this

Posted Images

thanks guys!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Gotcha. I've used it sucessfully also, but it was one of the Kaynes that told me about A36 not being ideal, one day when I was up there buying some of Grant's tong. Might be he was just encouraging business however. Just checked, and the OCP tongs are apparently made from 1045?

The Kaynes, in my experience, have a habit of bad mouthing anything they don't sell and claiming what they sell is the best of the best.

On tong metal: I've never bought any tongs, have always made them. I've always used A36 and never any problems.

Sam, you forge knifes, axes, hammers, etc. Just why am I seeing a store bought chisel? :-)

Edited by Gerald Boggs

Gerald, I love those MOB chisels, they are DAMN good and i'd be hard pressed to make one as good I get em for 5$ I couldn't make em so cheap hehe.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

But izzit a mace ?? or is it a ball n chain, that you clap on/manacle to the leg of a young apprentice ... keep em there for a whole day of honest labour and instruction .... else, they may skedaddle outs the door before the task is done :P

teasin

absolutely nothing wrong with A36 for tongs, they are decent ! except if you sneeze, and accidentally push/jerk the bit under the powerhammer jaws.... learned that lesson 4 days ago...sadly drove a piece of square stock almost through the bit...

tong still works, just looks off :huh:

Thank you Marco!

And Greg, do you need even ask :)? Of course it's a mace! it is called "last resort", it keeps apprentices in line without having to chain them to it :D

• 4 months later...

Bump! seems stickying things kind of makes em dissappear sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

Very awesome Sam. If you guys have not used Sam's tongs, i will happily recommend them. He makes amazing tools, and i will happily buy more from him :)

An artist is never ahead of his time. He is his time. The others are just behind the times.

• 1 month later...

Bump!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Part one readded.

Another thing I forgot to mention, there is such a thing as left hand and right hand tongs, you will notice one of each in this photo.

401534_3099052686242_1421482777_n.jpg?oh

Can anyone tell me why each is a left hand and right hand?

I can see a difference in the tong by the jaw orientation, the order of of the tong bits are reversed ie. Left hand top jaw bit is on the left right its on the right. What the functional difference is I do not know.

Less haste, more speed.