Christopher Price

The Blade of Dunharrow

"Over the land there lies a long shadow, westward reaching wings of darkness. The Tower trembles; to the tomb of kings doom approaches. The Dead awaken; for the hour is come for the oathbreakers: at the Stone of Erech, they shall stand again and hear there a horn in the hills ringing. Whose shall the horn be? Who shall call them from the grey twilight, the forgotten people? The heir of him to whom the oath they swore. From the North shall he come, need shall drive him: he shall pass the Door to the Paths of the Dead."—Malbeth the Seer

The way is shut.

It was made by those who are Dead, and the Dead keep it, until the time comes.

The Way is shut.

Edited by Christopher Price

Faint cries I heard, and dim horns blowing, and a murmur as of countless far voices: it was like the echo of some forgotten battle in the Dark Years long ago. Pale swords were drawn; but I know not whether their blades would still bite, for the Dead needed no longer any weapon but fear.

Lo! All the Black Fleet was in his hands; and he chose the greatest ship to be his own, and he went up into it. Then he let sound a great concourse of trumpets taken from the enemy; and the Shadow Host withdrew to the shore. There they stood silent, hardly to be seen, save for a red gleam in their eyes that caught the glare of the ships that were burning. And Aragorn spoke in a loud voice to the Dead Men, crying:

"Hear now the words the Heir of Isuldur! Your oath is fulfilled. Go back and trouble not the valleys ever again! Depart and be at rest!"

And thereupon the King of the Dead stood out before the host and broke his spear and cast it down. Then he bowed low and turned away; and swiftly the whole grey host drew off and vanished like a mist that is driven back like a sudden wind; and it seemed to me that I awoke from a dream

Not chronicled in The Return Of The King, is the notion that this spear cast down by the King of the Dead, was recovered and saved, as a token of the Oath Fulfilled. Re-hafted as a ceremonial dagger, the blade might reside in a hall of memories in Gondor even now, a reminder that the men of the White Mountains came to the aid of Aragorn, Heir of Isuldur and King of Gondor.

Initial Forging:

DSCF9536-XL.jpg

The blade will have two plates of bone covering the open split, and ground to match the blade's grind to the edge. Silver bolster and pommel, and a turned bone grip like the one on the Gladius I did 3 years ago, will complete the blade. I'll continue posting progress as it's made.

What an excellent idea! Really interesting design, and I love the context from which it came ;)

Can't wait to see where this one goes!

John

can't see the pictures

:(

Can now.

Looking forward to its completion. :)

Edited by Hÿllyn

Best part about it, is that I'm using a really cruddy piece of phosphoric wrought for the blade. It's got a really funky character that I hope will make this piece, much more than clean steel might. First time I've purposely used "poor" metal for a blade, but it's appropriate to this task. The blurry pic above is just to show you the general shape of the blade, I'll have some better detail shots later this week.

Blade is getting done tonight - the silver work, I need to set aside a proper amount of time to get all the soldering done correctly - I don't want to rush it and mess it all up, so I will likely wait until this weekend to finish - then it'll be a small thing to assemble and ship.

Here's a tease...

ChristopherPrice-XL.jpg

That long strip is geting covered with the little whorls, the ring is a 24 gauge wire wrapped with twisted 30 gauge wire, the butt plate needs to be soldered together (was working with 1 inch strip) and decorated with more whorls and twists, and the ferrule piece (not shown) is chased lightly with a unique design.

Ok, so my silversmithing isn't up to par with my ambition yet. Lesson learned.

And it is very much an "art knife", not an everyday user, with the bone panels.

I did go for, and I think achieve, the distressed look this was going for, it has that "old" tone to it and does not look like a newly manufactured item at all. I hope the new recipient likes it.

ChristopherPrice-XL.jpg

ohmy.gif That is very cool, I love the insets. I would be thrilled to draw that.

Kip

I was hoping to pull off a fancier treatment, but I've discovered I'm not as good at soldering thin silver as I am thick silver. I'd hoped for a more textured handle, too, but broke 2 bones on the lathe before this one, and this particular example was too thin to allow much work once it was round, and I barely got away with the simple waist you see here.

The panels on the blade are secured with epoxy, which may not be the most elegant solution, but seems to work here. There's enough surface area and texture on both surfaces, I'm not too worried about them popping off. Serious abuse might lead to that, but I'm hoping this one ends up on display somewhere. More likely, in a drawer somewhere. ;)

It's not the best blade I've ever done, but I really wanted to celebrate the "mythic" theme here, and feel I did that allright.