Villanovan Etruscan buckle

MDF

Hi guys,

This is a replica of a Villanovan-etruscan buckle (VIII century BC).

Probably some of you know very well this model, in my opinion has a wonderful design.

IMG_0024800x600-8.jpg

IMG_0003800x600-5.jpg

Here are some pictures of the work in progress ... off course lost wax bronze!

1-7.jpg

2-7.jpg

3-6.jpg

4-6.jpg

5-6.jpg

6-5.jpg

7-5.jpg

8-5.jpg

9-5.jpg

10-5.jpg

CIAO FROM ITALY

Marco Di Francesco

Truly beautiful work! What type of wax did you use? I have been wanting to try this for sometime now and seeing your work makes me want to rush out and try it!

Nice work! That's a very formidable buckle. The eyes look like they're staring right at me :P

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

Thank you guys,

Antigoth,

for this buckle I used a special jeweler wax, is malleable and very good quality...however, I want to build an wax extruder to make these cylinders myself ;)

CIAO FROM ITALY

Marco Di Francesco

Thank you guys,

Antigoth,

for this buckle I used a special jeweler wax, is malleable and very good quality...however, I want to build an wax extruder to make these cylinders myself ;)

Marco,

As soon as I saw the title of the posting, I knew MDF would be in the topic starter box. Thanks for sharing (amazing) the work I always look forward to seeing what you post. Someday I will build a sand box as you did to do the melting and casting in.

Jan

Fantastic as usual, Marco!

If I may ask, how did you clean up the castings? They look like you used a vibratory tumbler, perhaps? :huh:

Hi Alan,

No, I do not use this machine but simple tools.

I start with needle files, then use a special abrasive. I do not know exactly what their name implies, are small soft abrasive wheels that I found in a goldsmiths shop, are very fine-grained for our work but I found a kind of blue wheels that works perfectly on these mergers and steel... then buffing wheel .

Maybe someone knows these abrasives, are similar at Cratex

CIAO FROM ITALY

Marco Di Francesco

DO WANT. I am fascinated by BC cultures, so little is known and humans go back REALLY far. This buckle is a wonderful view into they're lives! It is big too! I wonder if they had wrestling back then....

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots