Sign in to follow this  
B. Norris

Safety Tip - Drilling holes in glued on scales

The thought struck me this morning that the Bladesmith's Forum has no Sub-Forum for Safety topics. Seems like a glaring oversight to me, especially in this day and age. A place where forumites could post tips, tricks and ideas that are safety related seems like a very valuable resource to me. Perhaps the Administrators will step in and rectify this. However, I digress...

Below is a photo (yeah I know my photography could be better) of a simple jig that can be built to protect fingers when drilling holes in the tang of a blade. The idea is that if the bit catches, then at least there will not be a blade helicoptering around on the drill press table chopping off fingers. Clamp the whole assembly down to the table and you can probably escape without any digits broken either!

DrillPressGuard.jpg

~Bruce~

thats a darn fine idea Mr Norris...i have had exactly what you are talking about happen to m in the past (we probably all have)...simple solutions to commonn problems that leave a person saying to themselves "now, why didnt i think of that??"...

Edited by mike fegan

That is a good idea but one more step would be helpful. Position your jig so that it bears against the column of the drill press. It can't spin anywhere then.

Darned good idea, Bruce!

Give me a few minutes and I'll make it happen.