Kitchen peppers - wip

Stephen Stumbo

Working on a batch of herb choppers. 3 of em, handforged 1084, I should have them ground and HT'd tomorrow, and handled by next week.

1 of them is mom's, and the other two will be up for sale.

Trying to decide on handle material. Thinking curly maple on two, and maybe purple heart on the last, what do ya'll think?

DSC07915.jpg

Eagleeyeforge.com

EagleEye_transparent_SM.png

Bevels ground out

DSC07916.jpg

Bevels hand sanded to 120

DSC07920.jpg

Ready for HT (heading out to the shop to do that in a minute). Tangs ground down (the handles will extend farther than that, but I'll hand file and sand up to where I want them) and bevels sanded. The bottom one is mum's, as you can see, it's gettting some "special" treatment.

DSC07927.jpg

Edited by Stephen Stumbo

Eagleeyeforge.com

I'm watching this one Stephan. Can't wait to see how they turn out! I was gonna suggest Bamboo for a handle on one of them. I have a bamboo cutting board that I have been trying to steal from my wife. I think it would make a great looking and durable handle. We have had this particular board since we were married 14 years ago and it looks almost brand new. It has really held up. I figure if it can withstand the type of abuse I wreak on it, then it should make a handle that can take some punishment and still look nice.

Troy Allen Christianson is NOT a "Licensed Bladesmith" so you may treat his posts with the contempt they deserve.

Didn't get as much done today as I intended, but I have a good excuse. I spent part of my available free time working on this! -

DSC07939.jpg

But, when I did get out to the shop, I got on the knives glued up. I'm going with brass bolsters and cm scales. Believe it or not, this is the first time I've done bolsters on a full tang, so I'm going to shape out this handle some and see how I like it, then get the others glued depending on how this one looks.

DSC07937.jpg

Eagleeyeforge.com

Got the first one shaped, sanded, and stained, and I like how the bolsters look (as did the mother), so mums, and the other knife will get brass bolsters.

This first one has few more touches it needs on the handle, then a good sharpening. Should be done tonight, the others will be glued today, and finished soon.

DSC07945.jpg

DSC07946.jpg

Eagleeyeforge.com

sweet work! that wood really popped with some sandpaper and stain!

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Nice knife...nice cake. Heck if you add a beautiful woman a pipe and some beer,then it would be the best post ever.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

I have been working on these, seriously. As of yesterday, I have the other two knives handled, and the handles roughed out. I don't have anything to do tomorrow after church, so I hope to get at least one sanded and dyed tomorrow.

DSC07948.jpg

Edited by Stephen Stumbo

Eagleeyeforge.com

Hey guys, I am going to finish these, seriously.

But I had to put them on hold for today (I was hoping to get at least one more finished today as I didn't have work) as I got a request from my brother for a rush job.

Heres a sneak peek -

DSC07954.jpg

You can see more about them here

Eagleeyeforge.com

Okay, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel now! (figuratively and literally, it's nice and sunny here today, almost hit 70!).

I have the other two's handle finish sanded and stained, now I'll be oiling them for about a week before I declare them done and post them for sale. In the next few days I'll be working on sharpening, and taking finished photos, as the handle oiling won't change the look of the handle.

The lower one is the first one done last week, the two uppers are the ones done today.

Oh, and the claying on Mum's blade turned out to fail. I've only done it before on 1080, and didn't realize how different 1080 was from Aldos 1084 in that arena.

DSC07957.jpg

Eagleeyeforge.com

Didn't get as much done today as I intended, but I have a good excuse. I spent part of my available free time working on this! -

DSC07939.jpg

I know what you mean by things like that taking time, here is mine.

cakeandnewfolkart001.jpg

One day I might finish a knife to cut it with. :D

I'm almost done, just gotta get some finished pictures and we're finito!

I got them all sharpened up two days ago, they're now sharp enough to shave the hair off a babys chin. And to cut see through slices of potato. I gave them all a test run, with potatoes, onions, and garlic. They slice and dice well.

DSC07967.jpg

Then I took them out to the shop and cleaned them up, some scratches on the front of the bolster (from sharpening I believe) touch up on the bevels, etc..

DSC07974.jpg

Edited by Stephen Stumbo

Eagleeyeforge.com

All done!

Mums in use

DSC08011.jpg

And some pretty pictures of the other two.

First - (and yes, the herbs were chopped with the pictured knife)

DSC08012.jpg

DSC08015.jpg

DSC08018.jpg

And second -

DSC08034.jpg

DSC08033.jpg

DSC08025.jpg

Then the accessories to be included with the knives when they're sold. A display block and a magnetic wall hanging block. Both made from curly maple to match the knives.

DSC08041.jpg

DSC08044.jpg

Eagleeyeforge.com