Black Cat wakizashi

Wow :blink:

More and more, I'm liking the black blades, and this is the best I've seen! Black on black :ph34r:

Very well done.

John

Nice one! By strange coincidence, I just sold a wak of very similar lines and size. Must be something in the water. Always cool to see how two very similar blades can have very different personalities.

I second Matt's question: wondering what you did to texture/patinate the tsuba?

great one, Jesus. What quenchant did you use (water)?

thanks for showing it.

kc

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

I quenched it in water. I cracked two other blades destined to be this wakizashi before I succeeded. It's just the nature of the beast. I have a beautiful video that shows one of the fail quenches. At the end of the video when everything is quiet you can hear two distinct pings. I can post it if you can to see/hear it.

The patina on the tsuba is a long and drawn out process of gentle chemical oxidation followed by cleaning of the rust, followed by more oxidation. It is all detailed on Ford's site so I will not re-post here.

The patina on the copper is done with a commercial chemical that I don't believe is available any more. Birchwood Casey Black Brass works pretty similar to this.

Very sleek. Motohaba/kasane?

I'd be interested in seeing the video. Its nice to see how others do things, but its intriguing to see how others react when those things dont go as hoped. :P

Those marks are meant to tighten the fit.

Motohaba (width at the base) is slightly over 1 inch. Kasane (thickness at the base) is a bit over 1/4 inch. I swear I am more accurate using the metric system.

I will upload the video when I get a chance but all the cursing and expletives will be edited out. Not that I use any.

awesome blade Jesus, and a very cool theme, which hangs together nicely. was the blade intentionally mu-sori, or did it just turn out that way?

i was working on polishing a wakizashi blade today, and having a very hard time getting a nice iori mune because i kept hitting little spots of mune-yaki. i notice your blade has a few as well, and wondering if you have any tips for dealing with this...