Kip Kaiser

cutting it close

My wife reminded me WE were remodeling the family room after xmas so Iv been a little pressed. But I have progress. This is my first carved blade. Im not quit to the point that I can make a full bar of damascus yet so i am using a bar that was given to my by Brad Vice from Alabama damascus. If you don't know him you should he is one of nicest guys i'v ever meet, and he makes some really got PW steel. My planes are like in the cut out, bolster on the side of the blade with a hidden tang. This was inspired by a knife made by Magnus Axelson that I have always wanted to try. The bolster will be copper with a black liner. The handle will be gabon ebony copper and black spacer and spalted maple. Thanks for looking tell me what you think.

Kip

DSCN0706_190.JPG

DSCN0707_191.JPG

Nice looking knife, nice looking design, nice looking wood! I cant wait to see progress.

Excellent choices for materials. It has a nice overall shape to it too B)

Nice lines I wanna see the final shots !!

Thanks for looking guy. I forgot to add Blade length to guard is 7" oal is 13 7/8" thickness is .150. I hope to have the bolsters done this weekend. More pic's to come.

Kip

Finished the bolsters this week end. I posted a few pic to show the system that works for me. Hope you like :)

Kip

DSCN0709_193.JPG

DSCN0710_194.JPG

DSCN0711_195.JPG

DSCN0712_196.JPG

DSCN0713_197.JPG

DSCN0714_198.JPG

DSCN0715_199.JPG

This is sweet

is that monosteel damask?

The there are four alloys in this blade, 52100, 15n20, 5160 and 203e. The bar came from Alabama Damascus.

Kip

A little more progress. Got her all glued up, hard part is over now the fun starts.cool.gif Thanks for looking!!!

Kip

DSCN0719_200.JPG

DSCN0721_201.JPG

DSCN0722_202.JPG

DSCN0725_203.JPG

The finished product. Sorry no story, I leave that to the new owner. Im very happy with the end results. The spalted maple is burled and ended up much better than I could have hoped. The oal ended up to be 14 1/8 and the balance point is right under the bolster in the finger slot, just lucky I guess.Thanks for looking hope you like it.<br><div><br></div><div>Kip</div>

DSCN0756_205.JPG

DSCN0762_206.JPG

DSCN0763_207.JPG

DSCN0769_208.JPG

DSCN0770_209.JPG

DSCN0771_210.JPG

Edited by Kip Kaiser

Great shape! Really well done.

The only suggestion I have would be to contour/shape the copper element a bit more. It look a bit blocky. I'd cut some bevels into it that parallel the finger groove and the other lines.

Justa thought, though. Great job man.

--Dave

Great looking knife, it has an elegant symmetry. I am a real fan of spalted maple and it looks great on that blade.

Thanks to all this KITH has been a lot of fun Im game to start all over for KITH 2012.

Dave if I had to be honest that was the one thing I was not happy with so I was not surprised at your advice. That was my first set of pinned bolsters and an area I need to work on. Thanks for your in put and stay tuned for the next Kip Kaiser creation as the quest continues. (I can't wait for the drawing)

Kip

Edited by Kip Kaiser

Very nice, Kip. All the elements that went into it make it look elegant and go together beautifully. I like the shape, too, and how it all fits into the sheath.

As for KITH 2012...I'd be there in a heartbeat ;)

John

Beautiful work man. I love the bolster, and the overall form has really nice flow.