step by step video of making wootz

nihang singh

hello to all,im very much new to this forum and also bladesmith,iv read a lot of making wootz in this fabulous forum and came across Georgian 'Bulat' technology by Zaqro Nonikashvili started by klaas,thanks to both wich showed us atlest how to make wootz and its components,as im very much new regarding furnace and forging could any one pls help me finding a video step by step wich shows how to make wootz and the blade from that ingot itll be really helpful

if i have to buy any video im ready too

thank you

I'd like to see this myself, but I think for those of us who are fresh to the forge and furnace may need alot of experience to really understand the fine workings that go into something like Wootz. I may be wrong and it could be horrifically simple also.

When the man handling the metal with tongs says "Do not grab the metal", you just don't do it!

hello to all,im very much new to this forum and also bladesmith,iv read a lot of making wootz in this fabulous forum and came across Georgian 'Bulat' technology by Zaqro Nonikashvili started by klaas,thanks to both wich showed us atlest how to make wootz and its components,as im very much new regarding furnace and forging could any one pls help me finding a video step by step wich shows how to make wootz and the blade from that ingot itll be really helpful

if i have to buy any video im ready too

thank you

Nihang,

You already have it..the post you are mentioning has it all, from crucible to blade..and several people have tried it and shown that it works.....aside from Greg Obach's writing, it is the best I have seen on the subject. Good Luck melting.

Jan

thanks for all the messages :), jan ur rite but still we are novice :P for people like us if there could have been a video step by step it would really help all of us today and in future too,i hope someone tries to make one

hoping for one to come out soon

pls make one

thanks to all

thanks for all the messages :), jan ur rite but still we are novice :P for people like us if there could have been a video step by step it would really help all of us today and in future too,i hope someone tries to make one

hoping for one to come out soon

pls make one

thanks to all

Nihang,

Here is my suggestion....forget about making wootz for a while , start gathering info books etc about ferrous metallurgy, heat treating, dendrite formation, steel making and so on , just enjoy a good read. Do the same for ceramics drift a bit to the technical side of ceramics not just pottery making. Read up on Wootz , how it used to be made and what it looks like ....

I have never read an account of how wootz was made that did not fit my " picture " of what was going on ( Von Ritter's iron ore as starting material may be an exception)......the historical info is very valuable ( and interesting ).

Jan

well, even with a video about all of the (different) way(s) I guess I would not have been much faster to come to the above mentioned XYZ, finding myself pondering about what went wrong, or why did it work this time

as Jan wrote, you will have to go the whole journey by yourself

or find someone who will accompany you for a while (might come to be of comfort)

as my friend once told me, when I wrote to him that I made a device for melting in a crucible:

Good, when you are done with melting, you will find that you just made 10% of the way...

so:

all of the stuff you need to know is in the net already

I tried to collect some of it here:

http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=86118&page=2

if you do not mind to read some German, the english links are in #33

and

http://www.doorcountyforgeworks.com/Wootz.html

take a good look

you have to deal with how to get to the right temps, how to keep them,

how and where to get the crucibles

what incrediences to use (and what not!)

and how to heat treat the stuff, once you get to it, how to forge it and not making it crumble (well it happened to me too!)

and be ready that after forging it for over 50 cycles you suddenly find cracks, growing all over

it will give you the creeps, Nihang

Namastae

Jokke

One reason why such a video does not exist, is that simply having a recipe will not let you cook a gourmet meal. Many people ask for this, "what do I put in, how long do I cook it, etc." but there's a price to this knowledge... and the price is experience. The people who are proficient and consistent about making this stuff put an awful lot of time and effort into learning how, with all the nuance and detail that's important to getting a successful product. I myself have witnessed it first hand at least a dozen times now, and I still can't do it myself with any confidence... a video isn't going to fix that.

We pride ourselves on not having many secrets on this forum, and I suppose that's true - there's no secret to wootz, but nobody is going to hand you knowledge and experience you didn't earn, either. It takes a serious study to master this stuff. Ask Yan how many cakes he's made, and if he's really happy with his results. The same could be asked of Ric, Jeff, Nikko, and a few others as well. Simply getting a solid piece of metal out of a crucible is only half the battle.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

One reason why such a video does not exist, is that simply having a recipe will not let you cook a gourmet meal. Many people ask for this, "what do I put in, how long do I cook it, etc." but there's a price to this knowledge... and the price is experience. The people who are proficient and consistent about making this stuff put an awful lot of time and effort into learning how, with all the nuance and detail that's important to getting a successful product. I myself have witnessed it first hand at least a dozen times now, and I still can't do it myself with any confidence... a video isn't going to fix that.

We pride ourselves on not having many secrets on this forum, and I suppose that's true - there's no secret to wootz, but nobody is going to hand you knowledge and experience you didn't earn, either. It takes a serious study to master this stuff. Ask Yan how many cakes he's made, and if he's really happy with his results. The same could be asked of Ric, Jeff, Nikko, and a few others as well. Simply getting a solid piece of metal out of a crucible is only half the battle.

Chris,

As soon as I get a new camera ( later this week ) I will put some failures on a table and take a picture..most of the old crucibles are buried as backfill for a stone wall.. We all have the same plan or recipe but go about executing it differently. If anything is learned from a "failure" it is really a success...in each phase you have to get down and study what is going on...right now it is that " color of a soldiers dirty coat " that is my challenge .

"When he plunged the blade into the trough, it seemed to me the color of a soldiers dirty coat, or cherry red. In plunging it he was anxious that no part of the blade should touch the composition but at the same instant the whole was immersed. It lay in the trough a few minutes to cool."

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

the answers jokke ,jan and chris told same thing i was thinking,now what happens SUPPOSE I MAKE A CAKE :| ,how to forge it wich temp and this is very true you all told ,we have to learn that by only and only by experience

and this is only the forum i saw wich showed how to make wootz,no other forums will teach you they will always keep a secret

i am searching this forums the old post by user wich they have told what happend when i did this and that with pictures,with that at least we update our knowledge what we musty and must not do

i do agree completely with good knowledge from this forum and little experience we can workout,because we learn here the pros and cons wich other users have faced

thank you all so much and i hope i can learn a lot from you all

namastey and SATSRIAKAAAL

the answers jokke ,jan and chris told same thing i was thinking,now what happens SUPPOSE I MAKE A CAKE :| ,how to forge it wich temp and this is very true you all told ,we have to learn that by only and only by experience

and this is only the forum i saw wich showed how to make wootz,no other forums will teach you they will always keep a secret

i am searching this forums the old post by user wich they have told what happend when i did this and that with pictures,with that at least we update our knowledge what we musty and must not do

i do agree completely with good knowledge from this forum and little experience we can workout,because we learn here the pros and cons wich other users have faced

thank you all so much and i hope i can learn a lot from you all

namastey and SATSRIAKAAAL

Namesty,

There is a lot of holding back by people for various reasons....here is one I am particularly sensitive to.. http://workz.in/whiteclouds/wootz-blade&page=2 the other is the approach some folks take as authorities on the subject rather than students, a kind of elitism which will come around sooner or later.

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein