a fast & wicked pair of sisters

Finished these up last weekend. Everyone that's laid hands on them can't believe just how fast and light they are - VERY deceptive in relation to their looks!

6894072649_cb99544802_b.jpg

One's a bit plain, while the other is obviously pretty racy - easy to see the fact that they're siblings, though. Each blade is just a pinch over 7 inches long, with an overall length of 12.5 inches. Both are 3/16" 1095, have tapered tangs and gorgeous wood and ito, and were heat treated with clay - but with very different coating methods.

The first provided all the flash - best hamon I've ever managed (with one upcoming possible exception) and Amboyna scales:

6894077189_a41ba91827_b.jpg

6894073323_592103d8c5_b.jpg

The next two shots give you a decent view of the sori that both have - such great curves!

6894073985_a2dd31e281_b.jpg

6894074565_0c0eb39514_b.jpg

This one's got a simple, straight hamon and curly koa scales under her wrap. I think it's understated, but elegant:

6894076691_a5075fc8d4_b.jpg

6894075085_f029812d1b_b.jpg

6894075527_ea677d2986_b.jpg

6894076097_28341221c0_b.jpg

Comments welcome. I had a lot of fun making these two, and they really seemed to come together all on their own.

Thanks for looking!

Matt - you have succeeded in causing me to suspend a usual very strong bias. I normally can't stand anything that tries to be even remotely Asian with a ricasso. BUT, those are quite striking. I like them both, very much. I think the hamons are both nice, though the one is surely flashier.

I may have missed this - but guessing - you quenched in Parks 50, right?

those are really cool. I now have to go rethink my worldview. This could take some time...

kc

I may have missed this - but guessing - you quenched in Parks 50, right?

Yup! Just can't seem to bring myself to lose a knife to something that doesn't need to be done any more violently than it has to be! Both of these came out of quench perfectly straight, btw. When I did the test pieces for this particular stock of 1095, the quenched results were wonderfully fine grained, with a trace of the usual carbide banding I see in Admiral's steel (the biggest reason that I won't order from them anymore, too). I used a chunk of 1095 in 3/8" stock from Aldo Bruno and my results were vastly superior without having to do any freakish thermal cycling, so it's what I'm planning on re-stocking with.

I just can't seem to capture the essence of hamon with a still camera - infuriating!!!!

Here's the video I sent to Roger after completing it, you get a slightly better idea of the activity in the hamon:

Edited by Matt Gregory

Very nice. Fantastic hamon. Love those long ashi. Where do you get your 1095?